Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

What of Macromedia Contribute?

Hello, If you use Contribute by Macromedia - I'd appreciate please your perspective on a few questions regarding it. I'm not all together convinced.

1)What did everyone do before Macromedia Contribute? What did you use?

2) What has Conrtibute made easier?

3) What are the benefits of it?

4) What are the pitfalls?

5) How does it affect security of Websites?

6) How does it benefit customers/users?

7) How would you manage without it?

That's it, thank you.

Paul Irvine
Monday, August 18, 2003

I tried it and liked it.  I thought it was a good solution and great price for mid-sized businesses.

It was good because I could review content for errors before posting and I could lock down parts I didn't want people editing.

Despite all this, I found our shop was too small and people couldn't used to the whole idea of templates.  Plus, I had to have some kind of archiving mechanism that I couldn't make happen with Contribute. 

I ended up writing my own content system using a simple database and a neat javascript thingy called HTMLArea (free), which wasn't as hard as I thought it would be.

Lee
Monday, August 18, 2003

"1)What did everyone do before Macromedia Contribute? What did you use?"

I've never used (or for that matter even heard of) Macromedia Contribute.  However, I can vouch for the power/ease/ROI of Content Management Software.  My company (shameless plug) has sells a content management solution (http://www.webmotif.com/wips) and it's a lifesaver.

We "eat our own dog food" and all our own sites run our software.  A single person, in his spare time, manages all the following websites:

www.webmotif.com
www.coffeegeek.com
www.coffeekid.com
www.spiffle.com

Without content management, that simply would not be possible.  Users love the software because they can make changes without having to come to you for changes (and paying for them).  Although I can't tell you specifically about Contribute, I can answer your questions about content management in general.

Almost Anonymous
Monday, August 18, 2003

The observant reader may also have noticed that the operator of this web site sells a web publishing system that can be used as a CMS.

Anonymous
Monday, August 18, 2003

sshhhh Anony...

I was a beta tester for Macromedia Contribute, so I have a skewed and incomplete view of it. It didn't fill a need for me - CityDesk filled that need - so I didn't continue on the beta test for long.

I really liked some aspects of it, from what I recall, being able to browse the site & choose what to edit that way was very nice. But there is simply now way that I'd be willing to give up CityDesk's ability to auto-generate indexes & navigation.

There were a lot of UI things that bugged me, and I sent them to the mailing list, so they might have been addressed, I'm not sure.

In any case, Contibute seemed to have a good core, and a pretty good philosophy, so I'm sure the end product is very good. For my money, though, CityDesk is the way to go.

www.marktaw.com
Monday, August 18, 2003

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home