Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

How would you deal with defame and slander?

My program was publicly slandered recently on microsoft.public.isa newsgroup

http://tinyurl.com/kbov

What should I do?

PopUpBuster
Monday, August 18, 2003

In that case, ignore it.
Either he will look like a crackpot or you will. Which one is entirely up to you.

Damian
Monday, August 18, 2003

Step back, take a deep breath, calm down, and ...

Ignore it.

If you're writing software, you'll be accused of lots of things. Look at the constant bickering about software (especially between the Open Source guys and the MS guys)

"Slander" is a bit harsh. What do you want to do? Sue the guy and spend $50,000 on legal representation to collect the $4.98 that the guy has in his pocket?

You're best bet is to ignore it.

Sgt. Sausage
Monday, August 18, 2003

Not worth the hassle - who would read that?

And if they did - it will soon be forgotten.

As time passes I find it better to be not sensitive. Maybe that is what they call "experience" ;)

Ram Dass
Monday, August 18, 2003

You publish a single, well argued paragraph as to why he has his head up his fundament in the same place he brought it up (it looks like you already did that).

In that way you turned a slagging off into an advertisment.

Simon Lucy
Monday, August 18, 2003

"there is no such thing as bad publicity"

- forgot who said that!

Prakash S
Monday, August 18, 2003

William Randolph Hearst, off the top of my head.

Simon Lucy
Monday, August 18, 2003

Usenet posts, particularly the extraordinarily geeky and unreadable ones written by flamers like this guy, have no credibility and nobody uses them to make purchasing decisions nor to boycott companies. To me it read like a rant from a 6 yr old.

The cost and effort to pursue this would be far in excess of the damage that it is likely to cause.

Bored Bystander
Monday, August 18, 2003

Oh, yeah: I did a search on this guy ("ryan")  and he's spammed a bunch of newsgroups complaining about "messenger" spam.  The problem is most likely that he's running a wide open PC without a firewall.

That's another factor that automatically discredits usenet postings: the lack of competency of people starting a flame war.

Bored Bystander
Monday, August 18, 2003

For starters, you could stop posting links to the slanderous messages.

Hardware Guy
Monday, August 18, 2003

Thank you all for your advises.

>>"Slander" is a bit harsh (Sgt. Sausage)
Not if the perpetrator sends out e-mails (attachments with .pif, .scr, etc.) impersonating us.

BTW. We closed down this public service today

PopUpBuster
Tuesday, August 19, 2003

Dear Pop-up Buster,
                              The messages with the attachments are sent with the Sobig worm - this is common knowledge. Go to an anti-virus site and ask about it.

Dear Bored Bystander,
                                  What the guy "ryan" is talking about are pop-up messages telling you your ccmputer is insecure because it may be exploited by various weaknesses. They are scare tactics. The messages are standard adverts. What various companies, which may or may not include pop-up buster, are doing are using annoying pop-ups to try and scare you into buying their anti-pop-up program. Possibly legal, but about as moral as blasting out rap music through a loudspeaker in order to sell earplugs, or simulating a break-in in order to get hired as a security guard.

Stephen Jonesa
Thursday, August 21, 2003

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home