Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

Web history

When did web programming start? I began to learn it at the end of 1995, when there weren't any books and information was hard to find. When did people first start CGI progamming?

The Real PC
Sunday, August 17, 2003

You mean by writing and employing Perl scripts on the hosting server to be triggered by a web browser frontend? In 1993.

Johnny Bravo
Sunday, August 17, 2003

Oh, I guess that was before graphical browsers.

The Real PC
Sunday, August 17, 2003

I'm sure i remember using a very early version of mosaic which was graphical sortof (xv to open images) in 1992 so it wasn't before the graphical web browsers.

just my five cents (no one cent coins in australia)

ko
Sunday, August 17, 2003

... and if someone knows of a good source of information to educated developers on how to best make the transition from GUI (ie. event-driven) apps to web apps in general (ie. should start by talking about the issues, the paradigm shift, and only then go on to present the main tools available), I'm interested.

I read Philip Greenspun's book (to which I was kindly reminded by a poster here), but it's a bit light on the programming part and too general.

Thx

Frederic Faure
Sunday, August 17, 2003

"... and if someone knows of a good source of information to educated developers on how to best make the transition from GUI (ie. event-driven) apps to ..."

The tools and technologies to learn and books you should read all depend on what you are trying to accomplish on the web and the company you work for. 

At some companies you have a clear seperation between web application development and web application design while at others you don't.  Some people (primarily contractors) are able to specialize on one or two web-related technologies/programming languages while others cannot.

Macromedia produces some very popular web design tools:

* Dreamweaver
* Flash
* Photoshop

Some popular web application development programming languages/technologies include:

* Perl
* ASP web development using VBScript
* ASP.NET web development using C# or VB.NET
* Java server pages

HTML, CSS, and JavaScript knowledge are pretty much a must know type of thing for both web design and web application development.

One Programmer's Opinion
Monday, August 18, 2003

Thx for the tips... but I'm surprised that I couldn't find a good and thorough article that would explain the differences between dedicated apps and web apps, eg. the fact that HTTP is stateless, the consequences, why we should use some persistence solution (cookies, session IDs, etc.).

Instead, all I can find when going to a bookstore is books on eg. ASP.Net or PHP... which is not what I think newbies want to know. At least, _I_ prefer to first have a 10,000-feet view of a domain, then a presentation of the different tools available, each with its pros and cons, before diving in and start playing with such and such tool :-) )

Thx again

PS : Those who can read French can take a look at "Technologies et architectures Internet", which is pretty good, but only covers J2EE and .Net. No trace of alternatives like PHP-based and Python-based tools.

http://www.amazon.fr/exec/obidos/ASIN/2100081780/

Frederic Faure
Monday, August 18, 2003

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home