Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

Notepad, Can It Be Replaced...

Notepad is the default 'copy and paste' text editor for my Windows XP OS.  Can "simple"  Notepad be replaced with a more powerful editor program?  Would Wordpad  be a better choice?  Ideally, I would like to add images
(clip-art, small animations at times)  to documents with the ease of 'cut, copy and paste'.  I recently downloaded EditPad but have not played with it  much.  If Notepad can be replaced...how to...and any good programs out there to fill in?  Thanks

Rae Martin
Sunday, August 17, 2003

Wordpad can use OLE objects, if I recall correctly. Will that do?

Mickey Petersen
Sunday, August 17, 2003

Yeah, if you want to paste in pictures and such, than Wordpad is a relatively ok editor,  though not extremely powerful, it is way better than the awful notepad.

For doing plain old text editing nothing on Windows beats TextPad http://www.textpad.com/

I would recommend it for any plain text editing you need to do.

Oren Miller
Sunday, August 17, 2003

Ditto Ultraedit, and the author of Ultraedit also provides a stub .exe you can drop in place of notepad so *any* text editing comes up in Ultraedit.

Textpad question - is there a way for it to be MDI or tabbed so every new document doesn't open a new instance?

Philo

Philo
Sunday, August 17, 2003

Textpad provides tabbed views, of course. From a programmers point of view, I'd still prefer UltraEdit over it due to its semi-automatic function list.

Johnny Bravo
Sunday, August 17, 2003

Try Metapad.

There should be instructions on replacing the notepad.exe in your system.  The benefit of replacing notepad.exe is that you don't have to re-program your system to build it into the shell (like Open With... and even existing global kb shortcuts (on my system Ctrl+Alt+N is notepad but now it brings up Metapad).

The thing I like about metapad is it's vbide-like search and kb tab formatting (Hilite->Tab/Shift+Tab).

Wayne
Sunday, August 17, 2003

Thanks, Everyone! for your quick response!  I will chase out these different programs for a look-see.  It's good to know that Notepad can be replaced with a better editor. 
I wasn't sure...as Windows can be territorial with embedded program support.  I studied thru Notepad, Wordpad, MS Word and even Clipboard(text editor housekeeper?) but didn't find where the change would be made.  Can someone give  'how to replace' instructions.  Again, thanks for all your help. 

Rae Martin
Sunday, August 17, 2003

ConTEXT also comes with a replacement notepad.exe:  http://www.fixedsys.com/context

Sam Livingston-Gray
Sunday, August 17, 2003

Roe,

I don't know why you'd want to physically replace notepad, but here goes:

In your C:\Windows\ (C:\WINNT if you're using 2k/NT) you will find "notepad.exe". Simply rename it to notepad.bak and copy your replacement editor into the folder and rename it notepad.exe

But take heed!

Your replacement should support parameters so you can double-click a file and have it opened. Also, I believe some DDE might be necessary for full support. I'm not completely sure about that, though. But if it causes you trouble, switch back.

The easier way:

Replace .txt file associations with your new editor. You can hold down Shift while right-clicking on a .txt file to bring up the "Open With..." menu item. (I think it's Shift; you only have to do this if you're using 2k).
Otherwise you can simply right-click and choose "Choose Program" and find your replacement editor's executable.

The third way is almost as simple:

Open up explorer and pick "Tools|Folder Options" and the tab "File Types". In this tab you can define how each filetype is opened and with what program and parameters.
Assuming your replacement uses the same format as notepad.exe, you can do something like this:

Find the TXT extension and pick "Advanced".
Find the "open" action and click "Edit."
In the "Application used to perform action" insert the path and filename to your new app. Example:

C:\AcmeEdit\acmeedit.exe %1

The '%1' is important as it represents the file you're trying to open. If your editor doesn't support that then there's not much you can do, unless it uses a different syntax(consult your help file).

Hope it helps.

Mickey Petersen
Sunday, August 17, 2003

Rae,

I misspelled your name! I'm so sorry, it's 4 am.

Mickey Petersen
Sunday, August 17, 2003

Note that fiddling with file extensions doesn't affect all the text editing popups that programs can spawn. Replacing notepad.exe does.

Philo

Philo
Sunday, August 17, 2003

Philo,

That is correct.
However, I find that replacing the original file to be more of a hack than anything; especially since the application (might?) have to emulate DDE support aswell, which further complicates the matter.

Mickey Petersen
Sunday, August 17, 2003

I put the Ultraedit notepad stub in two years ago - it has never caused me a single issue. But to each their own.

Philo

Philo
Sunday, August 17, 2003

Hi Everyone,  You gave me some thoughts here.  I might have sent everyone on a wild chase.    I have since discovered that when I highlight and copy text from a webpage, I can open up any text editor I have at hand and it will paste to that program...Woohoo!  I tried some of the text in this discussion to 'copy and paste' to Wordpad and EditPad...they both worked!  Woohoo!    In my early posts, I stated that Notepad "was the default text editor for Windows".  Maybe it is not a default program at all.  I thought this because it was so easy to 'copy and paste' to Notepad.  I don't need to "replace" anything! as Notepad is terrific for what it does...simple, simple, simple text editing.  I will chase out all your suggestions and find a program that suits me.  You guys are awesome!!!  Thanks to all, Rae

Rae Martin
Monday, August 18, 2003

I'd echo the Ultraedit call.

Simon Lucy
Monday, August 18, 2003

Rae - that's an excellent example of what I was talking about. I don't think there's anything you can do to send "View Source" anywhere but notepad except replace notepad.

And that's a place that I *love* having an advanced text editor in place.

Philo

Philo
Monday, August 18, 2003

I like EditPlus from http://www.editplus.com/

A good editor for keeping notes is Chimp Notes, which has been discontinued.

Also, KeyNote is fantastic, very full featured, and with Delphi source available.

I like the fact that it has "capture mode" - anything you copy on the clipboard will be appended to a text file.

George
Monday, August 18, 2003

Philo -

regarding replacing 'view source' default editor...

Turns out that is possible (fortunately!!).

I use vim as my editor of choice, and found a tip on vim.sourceforge.net regarding changing the default 'view source' editor for IE from notepad.exe to gvim.exe.

Though the info on vim.sourceforge was written specifically for gvim, it appears general enough that one could just as easily target a different editor.

goto vim.sourceforge.net and check out tips 118 and 134.

the basic procedure involved seems to be, for ie5.5, altering a registry setting to point to a vbs script kept in (in my case) the vim program directory. The vbs script actually invokes gvim, passing the proper parameters to it so it'll open the desired html from the browser cache. For IE6, the vbs script doesn't seem to be necessary; just make a change to the registry.  The difference seems to arise because IE6 is tolerant of spaces in the path to the file in cache, while IE5.5 isn't. That's what the vbs script 'fixes' for ie5.5.

Anyway, all the windows boxes I routinely work on now open givm when I hit 'view source' for a web page in IE. Much more useful for me than notepad.

Good luck,

anonQAguy
Monday, August 18, 2003

Crimson Editor (http://www.crimsoneditor.com) is yet another entry in the "small quick full-featured" editor contest. It even includes it's own copy of notepad.exe to replace notepad with.

I've used Crimson quite a bit for many tasks, and like it a lot.

Chris Tavares
Monday, August 18, 2003

I prefer EmEditor ( http://www.emeditor.com ).  Small, fast, stable, and excellent Unicode support.

Chris Nahr
Tuesday, August 19, 2003

My vote also goes to EmEditor. It is a good combination of power and speed. Plug-ins make it even more powerful.
BTW, spellchecker plug-in for many languages (I needed German) is available at http://aarrtteemm.nm.ru

Albert Crawl
Sunday, January 25, 2004

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home