Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

Help w/IIS 5.1 on XP/Pro

Have a new Win XP Pro machine at home and am having trouble getting IIS (5.1) working. 

Background: spent a few hours the first night downloading and installing updates, configuring network, personal firewall, etc. 

At some point I had IIS working, via localhost and the fixed IP (DSL) -- now I don't.  I frankly don't remember how much of my fiddling with updates, etc was before or after I had IIS working.

What I have checked/observed: 1) PC can ping itself using IP, 127.1.1.1, localhost and machine name; 2) PC can talk to the outside world fine (email, web); 3) IIS is running and I've checked home directory and any other obvious things.

Should any networks settings, or McAfee personal firewall stuff be affecting if I'm connecting from the same machine?  I have tried disabling both the delivered and the McAfee firewalls to no effect.

Also noticed that when I stop IIS, the browser immediately gives a "this page cannot be displayed", but if IIS is running it takes quite a while to time out and display that message.

Any help appreciated including a referral to a more appropriate forum.

steved
Sunday, August 17, 2003

I've really only seen behavior like this when active code is being run that's hanging the system.

What are you trying to surf to? A static HTML file? Or an ASP or ASPX page? If the latter, what happens when you try to surf to the static HTML file?

Brad Wilson (dotnetguy.techieswithcats.com)
Sunday, August 17, 2003

make sure your DSL modem isn't firewalling/NAT-ing for you. That's what my problem was.  I had to change the settings so that the modem wasn't handling the connection.  So now I use WinPOET, which I got from my ISP.

Brian
Sunday, August 17, 2003

Brad: can't get either asp or static html to work (and both previously did).

Brian: don't think it's the DSL modem since an NT machine running PWS connected to the same hub can serve html and asp.

I'm still thinking I checked the wrong box on some setup page as I was getting the machine setup.

steved
Sunday, August 17, 2003

I had a friend who had the same problem.  He ended up having to do a system restore to the point before when IIS 5.1 was working and then systematically run the updates one at a time checking to see if IIS was still running.  The weird thing was he never found out which update was giving him problems.  Hope that helps.

shiggins
Monday, August 18, 2003

shiggins: I fear you are right. Found this MSKB link:

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;281402

steved
Tuesday, August 19, 2003

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home