Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

Jim Clark moving to Florida

http://www.businessweek.com/magazine/content/03_34/b3846617.htm

Says he's given up on the Valley.

Quote:

"Q: Why do you find it depressing?
A: There's nothing going on that's of interest. There are only very few things. It used to be a vibrant, happening place. I'm speaking pre-1995. Once Netscape went out and the place turned into rocketland, everything got so insanely out of whack -- salaries, demand for people, commercial real estate. It became an insane place. And now it's an insanely depressing place. Now it's in such a funk.
"

Uh huh.

Am I the only one who finds this ironic

Karl Max
Sunday, August 17, 2003

He's pathetic. Now that the cream is gone he's not willing to do any farming.

valraven
Sunday, August 17, 2003

well, he's right about the valley being insanely depressing.
however, real estate in miami seems equivalently depressing.

Sunday, August 17, 2003

Places become undepressed by people who stay around, have the vision, and put in the work. He started numerous useless companies, cashed in, and now is taking off to be a cliche.

valraven
Monday, August 18, 2003

useless companies?  now that's just a troll.  Let's list the companies you started, and see which ones were more useful.

Andy
Monday, August 18, 2003

Sometimes I hate that argument. I don't have to found an honest company to point out that those who ran Enron were crooked; nor do I have to found Microsoft to point out that Netscape failed because they lost sight of the market for the sake of technology.

You don't have to *do* something to be able to point out the flaws in someone who has.

[Though I'll grant on occasion when I'm reading a movie review I'm thinking "Okay, Ebert, let's see you make a better movie. Oh that's right - you tried to..."]

Philo

Philo
Monday, August 18, 2003

Hey, "Beyond the Valley of the Dolls" wasn't *that* bad.  I loved the suprise ending anyway... okay, it was that bad, but still...

Grumpy Old-Timer
Monday, August 18, 2003

I have started a company, doing a worthwhile thing, that failed.  I have been an early member of a successful startup.  I am trying to start another venture. But i suspect in your world i'll never have the chops to comment on anything.

I did go overboard, but his kind of dilettantish efforts aren't what the world needs now. He is of course under no obligation, but nor is he immune from commentary given his public persona as a great entrepreneur.

SGI, where i did work, was great.  Netscape, kibu, Healtheon/WebMD, mycfo were less than successful.

He could be part of the solution. He could help turn it aroung. He could be an inspiration. He could be a great man. Now he's just another guy developing land. Yipeee.

valraven
Monday, August 18, 2003

GOT, you need an email address, dude.

Philo

Philo
Monday, August 18, 2003

Philo,

It wasn't meant to be an argument... just a troll-like statement responding to another one.  I don't have to get into specifics about how SGI and Netscape changed computing.  Everyone who knows they did, knows, and everyone who wants to bash Clark for some reason will bash him.  No point actually wasting brain cells on the argument.

Not that I am any Jim Clark fan or know all that much about him, but I think you'd be hard-pressed to find any other person who started more than 1 company that most computer people are familiar with.

Andy
Monday, August 18, 2003

Does any person out there possibly have Jim Clark's email address as I am connected with a few individuals who have a very dynamic, proprietary software (based on a media delivery system) and as I am also down in Florida, I would like to reach him about the chance of investing?

Robert Simpson
Tuesday, February 03, 2004

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home