Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

Don't throw rocks...

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&cid=74&e=8&u=/cmp/13100280

GNU servers compromised? Priceless. No, really, it is. Imagine if this thing was actually real; of course, they don't *know* if the source code was actually compromised - what the--?!

I think this is scary. More so, I haven't seen this news anywhere else --and moreover I found it by accident.

Any thoughts?

Mickey Petersen
Saturday, August 16, 2003

gnu is noted for their idealism, including a bit too much trust of those on the internet. at least they keep archival backups, so they can rewind to march and verify later data.

don't believe that closed-source companies are immune. just no recorded (or public?) cases of software source code being changed yet. that's why you need to check your own bank statments!

mb

http://www.theregister.co.uk/content/55/32355.html

http://www.infoworld.com/article/03/08/14/HNgnu_1.html

and 30 other listings according to google news:
http://news.google.com/news?num=30&hl=en&edition=us&q=cluster:www%2etheage%2ecom%2eau%2farticles%2f2003%2f08%2f14%2f1060588502847%2ehtml

not exactly a coverup...

Scot

Never said it was a cover-up, nor did I say that closed-source was any better. Don't put words in my mouth.

What I meant was that you shouldn't throw rocks when you live in a glass house. Somehow this seems appropriate here, given the 'massive' feedback Microsoft has been getting as of late regarding their "late" patches and "cover-ups" of security flaws.

Mickey Petersen

Yes, you are right.

OSS advocates and users are many times loud mouths who criticize closed source companies.

Joy

I just think we have to accept that we're humans and that we make mistakes. Once we get over this "my daddy can beat your daddy" mud slinging we can actually focus on our respective jobs.

Mickey Petersen

Probably SCO dropping in some code

Mike

> I just think we have to accept that we're
> humans and that we make mistakes. Once
> we get over this "my daddy can beat your
> daddy" mud slinging we can actually focus
> on our respective jobs.

Well, who hit first?

The continous bashing and bashing and whining and whining was started by the open source community and against the closed source companies and programmers.

For example, every time a tiny security break in happens at a company using Windows, there is an article on Slashdot with hundreads of messages. :-(

So, don't ask us to keep quiet, when a similar break-in happens to an open source organization.

John K.

"Don't ask us to keep quiet"?

No one did 8-} I think that is the major difference ;) They openly publicized the situation. I think this was handled in the best possible way (short of avoiding the compromise, which is hard).

I find it hard to imagine Microsoft behaving so responsibly, were positions reversed.

Mike Swieton

John K,

You are preaching to the choir.

I'm not telling you to 'shut up', I just wish we could all just drop it completely and make the online community in general a bit nicer.

IF that happens, then I might be able get myself to read sites like theregister.co.uk and slashdot for the IT news and not the OS slander it reports constantly*.

* = This is not meant as a flame.

Mickey Petersen

> humans and that we make mistakes. Once
> we get over this "my daddy can beat your
> daddy"

Well except in this case my daddy already kicked your daddy's ass right out of the data center

dotnot

The Register is the yellow press of computing.  They'll never stop slandering the biggest target, because people find that most entertaining.

Joel once recommended a book, _The Secrets of Consulting_ by Weinberg, and it mentions the Law of Raspberry Jam, which is the more you spread your message, the thinner it gets.  Gnu is facing this problem.  Their message has been forked by the Opensource movement, which talks about dominating Microsoft, being cheaper and technical superiority.  Gnu argues no such thing -- sometimes the Gnu solution isn't cheaper.  It's certainly not always convenient.

So who are these zealous people?  They're people who need to hate something.  If Apple were the big cheese in personal computing and Gnu didn't exist, they'd be rallying around Microsoft.  And all of them at some point have had their passions stoked by a troll, who finds blind human passion entertaining.

Tayssir John Gabbour
Sunday, August 17, 2003

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home