Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

Markets or uses for old dev. books and tools?

I'm doing some cleanup in the house and I have a ton of DOS and Windows 3.x era development tools and books. Examples: Borland C++ 3.1 with Application Frameworks, VB 3.0 Pro, VC++ 1.0, Microsoft C 5.1 (contains OS/2 tools and libs!), Clipper 5.2, and many, many C++, graphics, serial I/O, GUI, interrupt/TSR, and games programming books of the time.

Putting it out for a garage sale seems kind of pointless. As far as online sales, my guess is that the fees in Ebay would run  more than any sales I'd make. But the stuff is generally in good condition and it seems a shame to throw it out.

I also wonder if perhaps there aren't some development shops out there that could actually use this stuff to support older legacy products?

I might give it away to an individual or a non profit who would pay for shipping. But I'm not going to give it away to a large reseller.

Any ideas?

Bored Bystander
Saturday, August 16, 2003

Donate it to goodwill or Salvation Army (there should be a local) or your local library if they do used book sales.
You can write off the value of the book (even if it's just worth $5, that's like $1 off your taxes), and they sell it at a used book sale - if someone buys it for a dollar, that's another dollar for the charity or library to put to good use.

Philo

Philo

You can always recycle it, or use it for kindling.  :)

m

Yeah, that's a real problem after a few decades.  Those programming books tend to be heavy and therefore expensive to ship when you try to sell them.  But most are worthless anyway after a decade or so, just like the software. So I usually just give away the stuff, or throw it away if nobody wants it.  Sad but that's how it is...

Chris Nahr

I've gotten in the habit of donating anything that's more than a version old. I'm just brutally honest with myself - if I haven't used a book in six months, I'm probably not going to. So I might as well get rid of it when it's still likely to be of use to others.

I comb through my books about once a year - just did it last month (all the ASP stuff went)

Philo

Philo

Use it to bullet proof your house once they discover that Cleveland powerplant is running Windows NT 4.0

Bait

Thinking out loud --- I checked Ebay and a copy of Borland C++ 3.1 (same as the one I have) supposedly sold for $169 on Aug. 4.

So, maybe I should place Ebay ads for just a couple of the higher quality pieces and in the ad have links to a web site listing all of the stuff with pictures, to generate some traffic...

Bored Bystander

Bored Bystander,

Be sure to keep one of the really good books you used a lot. Later on, <insert arbitrary 2-digit number> years from now it'll be fun to review the book and see what changes has happened.

Mickey Petersen

>> <insert arbitrary 2-digit number> years from now it'll be fun to review the book and see what changes has happened.

Yeah, I'm hip. I'm hanging onto "Effective C++",  "Algorithms + Data Structures = Programs", Martin's "Database Analysis & Design",  "Computer Graphics" by Foley and Van Dam, etc...

Stuff like "Writing Trendy Badass TSRs" and "Developing Games Using Exactly One Version of Borland C++" is toast... as is my collection of Denial-of-service code for Rs-232. :-)

Bored Bystander

Yes, I really could use some advice on what to do with old stuff.

I have a apple II red book in great condition, they go for as much as $100 on ebay. In fact, I also have the original Apple II cassette tapes in perfect condition also. I going to hang on to the apple stuff for a bit longer.

I also have a 10 meg hard disk for that appleII. It was bought on sale for $3000 dollars new, and was  really good deal back then.

I also have tons of MS older software. I kind of whish I could find some use for that old stuff. I am still in collection mode!

I guess I have to decide when I am going to start get rid of this stuff!

Albert D. Kallal
Edmonton, Alberta Canada
kallal@msn.com
http://www.attcanada.net/~kallal.msn

Albert D. Kallal

I will NEVER give away my Borland C++ 3.1. No, Sir!

It was the tool I loved the most!

Joy

That's funny.  The other day I was sitting around in thought wishing I had access to a copy of a 6502/6510 assembler book I threw away at least 10 years ago.

It had a short "methodology" section, explaining the differences between modular programming... structured programming... etc.

What I wanted was the exact wording of the last paragraph in the recap after the methodology sections.

It was something like "Remember... the point of programming is to produce a good working system - NOT to blindly follow the tenents of ANY methodology."

There is a lot of wisdom in old books that doesn't seem to be in many of the newer ones. 

Joe AA
Sunday, August 17, 2003

Call me old fashioned, but I never throw away or sell any books I buy, even outdated computer books.

Prakash S
Sunday, August 17, 2003

I found some old Commodore 64 programming books while unpacking boxes after our renovation. I've got no use for them, so I threw them on eBay just to see if anyone was interested. One sold for $10.50, and the other sold for $27!

It turns out that someone, somewhere, always has a use for whatever old crap you have lying around!

Darren Collins
Sunday, August 17, 2003

Dear Pakash,
                    You're not old-fashioned; just young and inexeperienced :)

Stephen Jones
Sunday, August 17, 2003

"One mans trash is another mans treasure"

HeyCoolAid!
Monday, August 18, 2003

> There is a lot of wisdom in old books that doesn't seem to be in many of the newer ones. 

Just think of the profile of who wrote books 20 years ago vs. today. 

Bella
Monday, August 18, 2003

If you have the room, by all means, start your museum.  If you like to live cultter free, try selling em.  It is work to list stuff on ebay.. But it feels good to give your junk to someone who wants it for some reason.  Otherwise, they are not worth their weight in paper.  So donate them.  Or just toss em.  It's liberating.  But also sad.  A;l that invested time...Now meaningless, somewhat..  I do keep "generic" stuff, like SQL books, etc.  And any language that is stilll currebt (Perl, C, Java, SQL, etc)  I threw away some ORCL forms, and powerbuilder books last summer.  Glad to toss that crap. 

Bella
Monday, August 18, 2003

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home