Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

how much does part time work count?

A bit on my background, I have a BSCS and started off in my first dev job, it lasted 15 months, after which I was laid off.Spent 6 months looking for another position, found it, and have worked full time for 4 months.Now I'm going back for my mscs and agreed on part-time work with the same employer for 15-20 hours/week.The work will be basically the same project, but with lesser hours.I expect to do this for maybe 8 months.
The next time when I go looking for a job, how much is this 8 months part time going to count for the employer?

Anon
Saturday, August 16, 2003

I haven't seen or ever put "part-time" in my resume, even for part time jobs.  If you do freelance work outside of your normal job, is it any less important that you only worked on it for 4 hours a day?  Not in my opinion...  If you're working 8 months part time, put down that you worked 8 months.  If they ask how you're getting your MSCS and working fulltime, you can elaborate - because frankly, by then you're already at an interview...and getting that is the hard part.

GiorgioG

Just list start date and end date.  If you list several overlapping things, smart readers will figure it out -- and by the time anyone is paying that much attention to your resume, you've at least made it past the first (and most arbitrary) cut.  Frankly, some of my best experience comes from the part-time gigs -- especially the ones I do from home, by myself, without spending 10-25 hours a week in meetings.  Spending that much time in meetings basically means that development proper is only a part-time job anyway.  (Unlike many, I don't like working overtime.)

Sam Livingston-Gray

I am with Sam on this one.  Leave it out. If a potential boss is more worried about the fact that you worked part time than by your skills or experience, run.

One more thing, not sure how much experience you have under your belt, but if you have had shorter stints overlapping years, then use years eg 2002-2003 instead of Nov 2002 - Jan 2003.

You give them detail once they make it worth your while to explain yourself. Interview is always a show me yours and I will show you mine process.

Tapiwa

In this field, what you know, have done, and can do is more important.  Time is not as important.

Bella
Monday, August 18, 2003

Definitely leave it out...i'd love to have a job like that for a while. I'm assuming you'll get paid by the hour.

SteveL
Tuesday, August 19, 2003

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home