Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

MSF?

I am wondering if anyone out there is using MSF principles in their projects? what would I gain if I learned this?

Joe
Friday, August 15, 2003

What is MSF?

John Topley (www.johntopley.com)
Friday, August 15, 2003

I suspect he's talking about "Microsoft Solution Framework", the methodology that MS esposes for program development.

All I know about it is that I have to take a test on it one of these days to get my MCSD cert. I really should learn more before taking the test. :-)

Chris Tavares
Friday, August 15, 2003

Joe wrote, "I am wondering if anyone out there is using MSF principles in their projects?"

Well, you could do a Google search and find out.  In the late 1990s, I came across a few small consulting firms who had web sites that mentioned that they did use this methodology.

"what would I gain if I learned this?"

Probably not much.  Microsoft's consulting arm came up with this methodology to get more consulting business.  I believe they are the only group at Microsoft that actually uses this methodology.

As a previous poster already mentioned, if you decide you want to obtain the MCSD certification you will need to know the basics of how this methodology works.

Don't quote me, but I believe there are a couple of MSF related questions on Exam 70-300: Analyzing Requirements and Defining .NET Solution Architectures.

One Programmer's Opinion
Friday, August 15, 2003

IIRC, MSF is fairly close to the cyclical design philosophy of extreme programming.

Philo

Philo
Friday, August 15, 2003

http://www.microsoft.com/msf/ -- it's been knocking around for years -- yes it smells of XP quite a bit (and AFAIK preceded it). If you've ever come across Rafal Lukawiecki, an old colleague of mine presenting at an MS conference -- he's a bit of a guru on this.

Duncan Smart
Friday, August 15, 2003

Huh?

While both methodologies promote iterative software development that is where the similarity seems to end.

XP is well-suited for small team software development projects and can scale down to only one person. MSF is much more prescriptive and was designed primarily for large team software development projects. While both methodologies can be modified to suit your own needs -- in their unmodified by the book form -- their advice on how to develop software is philosophically very different. Note: my opinion is based on MSF material that I read several years ago. Maybe the MSF approach towards software development has dramatically changed in the last year or so?

One Programmer's Opinion
Friday, August 15, 2003

"If you've ever come across Rafal Lukawiecki, an old colleague of mine presenting at an MS conference -- he's a bit of a guru on this. "

Hey, you can get the introduction to MSF and MOF directly from Rafal at http://www.dotnetmaailma.com/dotnetmaailma/seminaarit/online/EMEA+Architects+Tour.htm

Rafal's presentation is Day1, session 4

The full talk takes about 1:15h but it is time you will not regret spending.

Just me (Sir to you)
Saturday, August 16, 2003

I've used MSF for many projects in the past.  More than anything, if you don't already have a process, it gives you one that helps sell development services.  Companies feel more comfortable with you if you have a defined process.  So, it's definitely not unique or the best way to do every project, but it's something.  It does encourage communication with clients in particular in regards to risks.  Identify them early and deal with them.

Wade Winningham
Sunday, August 17, 2003

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home