Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

Google Toolbar v2.0

Just incase you hadn't noticed, Google have brought out a new verson of their toolbar. Best thing: it now has a popup blocker, so if you're still using IE, this would be a must have.

Also they seem to be to be making some use of their purchase of Blogger as there's integration with that. There's also a form filling device (reminds me of the "Microsoft Wallet" - anyone remember that?)

Duncan Smart
Friday, August 15, 2003

yup, it is much better than the 1st ver, lots of improvements; I don't intend on using the wallet feature though!

Prakash S
Friday, August 15, 2003

This thread's PageRank is 4/10. :-)

Amour Tan
Friday, August 15, 2003

I love Google Toolbar 1.0, but I'm afraid to install 2.0. It sounds like major feature bloat..?

runtime
Friday, August 15, 2003

I've been using the beta for the past month.  I love it -- the popup blocker itself is reason enough to use it.  (It blocks all popups by default, but you can allow popups on a site-by-site basis.  Very nice.)  It's also been rock-solid.

It has a few unnecessary features, like the "blog this" button.  But you can remove the buttons you don't like using the customize option.

Robert Jacobson
Friday, August 15, 2003

Robert,

If you need a popup blocker, it means you aren't using Firebird.

As a pretty solid IE user for the last 5 years I can pretty much say Firebird is better in pretty much all respects.  It definitely improves my productivity.  I just started using it 2 months ago and haven't looked back.

Rick Watson
Friday, August 15, 2003

I just updated to the new version of the Google Toolbar and it works quite well.

The popup blocker is a nice added feature. I have no need for Firebird or any other popup blocker since Google added this to the toolbar.

Mark Hoffman
Friday, August 15, 2003

I wish it would come for mozilla

Easy
Friday, August 15, 2003

I'm not using FireBird much because it doesn't have the Google toolbar -- the bit which highlights the words on the page is the killer feature for me (the incremental search in FireBird doesn't rock my world quite as much).

Less fretting about there being no more standalone versions of IE -- with the popup blocker it kind of upgrades IE to "IE 6.5" for me :-)

Duncan Smart
Friday, August 15, 2003

I'm not using FireBird much because it doesn't have the Google toolbar -- the bit which highlights the words on the page is the killer feature for me (the incremental search in FireBird doesn't rock my world quite as much). - Duncan Smart

FireBird does have a Google toolbar plug-in. It has most of the features of the IE toolbar, including the highlight feature. And it appears to work better than the IE version (which doesn't always un-highlight when you click it the second time).

Zahid
Friday, August 15, 2003

"FireBird does have a Google toolbar plug-in."

And where might one find this? I've had a look and it seems there's several 'clones' floating about, what one do you use and does it have all the functionality of v2.0?

Nobby Good Guy
Friday, August 15, 2003

Here is the unofficial Google Toolbar for Mozilla, and yes it's better than the normail Google toolbar: http://googlebar.mozdev.org/

Matthew Lock
Saturday, August 16, 2003

"which doesn't always un-highlight when you click it the second time). "

-and to think they would have fixed this in V2.....

Prakash S

"unofficial Google Toolbar for Mozilla" -- looks good! Shame I couldn't find it using Google before you put the link up.

Duncan Smart

...saying that, it's the number one link for http://www.google.com/search?q=Google+Toolbar+Mozilla now - I'm sure it wasn't yesterday...

Duncan Smart

I wonder, does it still act like a spyware?

David Rabinowitz

Joel (and I :-) use the much better deskbar rather than the google bar

http://www.dqsd.com/

http://www.joelonsoftware.com/news/fog0000000258.html

Gregg Tavares
Tuesday, August 19, 2003

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home