Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

Did the girl get to keep her job?

FullNameRequired,

What happened in the end?  Did you start the process of firing her?

Did anything positive come out of the experience?

Ged Byrne
Friday, August 15, 2003

> Did anything positive come
> out of the experience?

Yes, a bl0wj*b.

Bill Clinton
Friday, August 15, 2003

Go, Billy, it's your birthday,
Go, Billy, it's your birthday!
Yayy!

Dude, just make sure you didn't leave any, uh, souvenirs on her dress, ok?

Unanimous Cowboy
Friday, August 15, 2003

I love how "Bill Clinton" is too embarrassed to say the word 'blowjob' without resorting to asterisks, especially since it was a crude one-liner to begin with.

timmy
Saturday, August 16, 2003

Which brings up one of my biggest pet peeves: people who self censor themselves. Everyone knows that blowj*b was blowjob, and that f*ck is fuck. So typing the * doesn't detract from the type of word it is, yet some people seem compelled to somehow make it "softer". It doesn't work, not even a little.

If you want to swear, go ahead; we're all adults here, and I'm pretty sure we can deal with it.

Moreover, if you want to use any word and it isn't a swear word (like, say, blowjob), don't replace characters. You're just as immoral when you use a * as when you type an o.

Tim Sullivan

Yo* really sho*ld listen to this g*y. *sing an asterisk to replace certain letters doesn't do anything but anno*nce "I'm a silly prig" to the world.

OTOH, there's nothing wrong with making s*ch an anno*ncement, if that is what one intends. J*st be aware that's what yo* are doing.

"B*t Philo," yo* ask, "maybe they have some religious comp*nction against *sing certain letters!"

Well that's j*st plain silly.

Philo

Philo

_*_

And what's up with replacing the 'o' with an '0' ("oh" with "zero")?  If you're going to substitute one character for another, you might as well do a better job than that.

Unless, of course, Mr. Clinton was just trying to avoid any auto-censoring forum software.

Kevin

You replace "oh" with zero so f00l5 \/\/1ll kn0\/\/ 7h3y 4r3 n07 e7337!

NoName
Sunday, August 17, 2003

This forum isn't auto-censored. It's patrolled by real live people.

Brad Wilson (dotnetguy.techieswithcats.com)
Sunday, August 17, 2003

*and* Joel.

Philo

Philo
Sunday, August 17, 2003

Heheh, "prig". A nice touch, Philo.

Monday, August 18, 2003

*nix anyone?

RP
Tuesday, August 19, 2003

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home