firewall software

what is the best firewall software?
zone alarm? sygate? norton? tiny?

killerbee
Friday, August 15, 2003

Here you can find some info: www.firewallguide.com

drazen
Friday, August 15, 2003

If you want a "no fuss" firewall, you should go with something like Zone Alarm.

Personally, I like Deerfield.com's Visnetic Firewall.

Mickey Petersen
Friday, August 15, 2003

http://www.microsoft.com/security/incident/blast.asp

Prakash S
Friday, August 15, 2003

OpenBSD + pf + Snort on an otherwise useless PC.  And it'll do traffic shaping, IPsec, and NAT, to boot.

Flamebait Sr.
Friday, August 15, 2003

The best firewall kit is the one Marcus Ranum came up with.

A block of putty and a pair of wirecutters. You take the cable to the edge router, chop it in half, stick both ends in the block of putty.

Any time you let anything through a firewall, there's a possibility of something getting through you don't want.

I'm a paranoid beggar. I use a strick proxy firewall, if you can't do it through a proxy, you don't do it, or you get a dedicated disposable machine to do it and use sneakernet.

A routing-based firewall, even on OpenBSD? Just asking to get owned, if there's PCs behind it. You don't need to let the bad guy in, your users will bring him in via some spyware-back-orifice-infested hack. If you don't let the bad guy out, you don't get taken advantage of.

Peter da Silva
Friday, August 15, 2003

If it's just for one machine Zone Alarm is great.

Stephen Jones
Saturday, August 16, 2003

I hate it when someone comes to me with a laptop problem and they have ZoneAlarm running. They can't access anything on the LAN because ZA thinks the printers and servers they're trying to access are trying to crack their computer. It works on their own LAN, of course, because they've had ZA configured for that. Here they are, on a LAN forewalled both ways from the rest of the company and a second firewall between that and the Internet, and they don't want to take ZA down...

Peter da Silva
Sunday, August 17, 2003

The best firewall SW is none.

Use a hardware firewall (LinkSys, NetGear, etc. for home, Cisco, Axxent, etc. for business).

That way, a smart virus cannot take down your firewall.

David Jones
Wednesday, August 20, 2003

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home