Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

Web based database form software

I would like to make a web based database where each entry has 2 or 3 uploadable images, assume it was for real estate and I wanted "outside picture", "inside picture", "map" plus various other fields like "price", "sold (Y/N), "address", etc.

I want the people populating the database to be able to do so from a web browser (meaning they need to be able to upload the images, hopefully on the same form)

Is there any semi easy to use, possibly wysiwyg software that will create a site like this easily or am I pretty much stuck custom coding the whole thing?

Gregg Tavares
Friday, August 15, 2003

should take a day or two with ASP.NET.

mb
Friday, August 15, 2003

Or even a whole two hours with Zope.

But then you'd have to know Zope to begin with.

Simon Lucy
Friday, August 15, 2003

You should get this done for a few dollars on one of those rent-a-coder sites.

Ged Byrne
Friday, August 15, 2003

okay, maybe I didn't make myself clear.

I would need more than just one form.  I would need to be able to add users, have them login, give them permissions to view and/or modify the database etc.  That suggests a login page, a failed page, a page to remind you of your password if you forgot it, some kind of listing page showing more than one entry (like a gallery or at least list of all entries) and it would need next and prev buttons assuming the database got big.

So, I'm not saying it couldn't be done in ASP.NET or by some script kidded in a day or 2 or maybe a week but for some reason it just seems like a simple solution should already exist and I'm hoping someone knows what it is.

I'd also like to be able to adjust the database later (add a field for example)

I'm not that familiar with databases.  I know that the old Mac based FileMaker Pro would easily let you make databases and change them (add / remove fields).  Unfortunately back when I used it it required each person to run FileMaker to access the DB and they all had to be on the local net and I doubt it supported images back then.

It seems like in this day and age a similar tool but that created a front end for the web would exist.

I noticed for example that Access kind of does this but it's missing zillions of features to make it useful unless you do lots of scripting.  For example it will make the basic form but it has no way to store pictures in the database.  I could store links to pictures but those links will not actually display without writing code and it also provides no way to upload them.  Users would have to manually upload and maunally enter the links or again, lots of code would have to be written.  It provides no users and no logining in either.

Although I know to some extent all databases are custom it really seems like a tool that would create something like this simply and without coding would already exist.

Maybe this should be fog creek's next piece of software!??!

Gregg Tavares
Friday, August 15, 2003

If your looking for a minimum cost solution, then an open source CMS like PostNuke or YABB may be what you need.

They offer full management of user permissions and modules for similar tasks can easily be adapted.

Look and feel is controlled via templates.

Ged Byrne
Friday, August 15, 2003

With Dreamweaver Ultradev you can develop in PHP, ASP or coldfusion in wysiwyg-style.
However, I advice against doing so without knowing the language you choose. There are other tools that do simmilar things, but you can never really trust the result unless you know how the code works.

When you do know, the code generated by these programs will look...bloated.

Eric Debois
Friday, August 15, 2003

By the way, you might want to take a look at
http://www.hotscripts.com/
to see if something fits your bill.

Eric Debois
Friday, August 15, 2003

I'm actually building this software right now because we are sick of coding the same thing over and over again.  There's no reason why simple add/update/delete forms can't be as easy as point-n-click.

And it will be that easy for simple forms.  To encompass more complex rules such an application would have to allow you to get down into the nitty-gritty coding part of it.

Of course my first version will only write pages for intranets that use Internet Explorer and ASP but I can see support for any web environment in later versions.

Sorry, it won't be available to the general public for a while though, it's really intended as an add-on to our other products.

Wayne
Friday, August 15, 2003

The exact tool you are looking for is called realtor.com, hosted at the same url.  I don't know how extensive their features are, but I know that it can do at least what you have described.

I'd be pretty cautious about betting the company, or the company's image, on anything that you build with pointing and clicking, without understand what's going on behind it.

It doesn't sound terribly hard though. For anybody here with much experience, it should be a pretty small project.  So the best advice might be to contact a few people privately and get quotes.

Clay Dowling
Friday, August 15, 2003

thanks for the suggestions.  As for Realtor.com, I only used the real estate idea as an example because I thought it was easy to understand.

I seriously want something easy for team based web accessable databases.  I happen to work on games.  I might like one database for enemies (picture of enemy, list of animations needed, list of moves, description, behavior, hitpoints, places found, etc.)  Then I might want one for objects (picture, description).  I want them to be editable and view able by a team of people.

Tomorrow I might need some other small shared database.  If everytime I want to do this I've got to write custom code for essentially the same thing then there's clearly an opportunity here for a product.  Sadly, I was hoping it already existed because I just want to use it, not write it :-(

Gregg Tavares
Sunday, August 17, 2003

Come to think of it.. doesnt filemaker have some kind of server functionality that does this..

Or perhaps an MS Access application?

Eric Debois
Sunday, August 17, 2003

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home