Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

ee vs ece

what's the difference between the two?  Is ece just ee with more computer science, cause if so, I'm taking that route!

thanks,
MIke

mike johnson
Thursday, August 14, 2003

Pretty much... But I'd advise you to read the programs' description since the programs vary from college to college.

Azazello

"what's the difference between the two?"

I've never seen BSECE listed as a prerequisite for a position. I've also never heard of a BSECE, but I'm out of the loop...

Philo

Philo

ece is just ee with more c. 

sorry :)

Stress

ECE, as I've seen it, is a concentration within EE that focuses more on computers than things like power lines.  An ECE is a BSEE with a focus on computer engineering.  You still get all the heavy EE courses but you get to take some operating system, compiler design, etc. courses, too. 

SomeBody

Yes, I think ECE is less learning about radar, FM radio, and motors work, and more about CPU design and fabrication, data busses, and transistors.

It's just a different focus.  I think you can get a good "ECE" education with a typical "EE" degree -- some colleges just choose to make the distinction explicit.

Andy

BTW,  RF engineering is making a big comeback, my sources at Intel and other IC manf. tell me.

Now that we're getting tiny tiny chips and higher frequency clocks, each data bus line acts like an antenna.

But, the colleges stopped teaching RF years ago.

Thos crusty RF (radio Frequency) engineers are being lured from thier ham radios to chip plants.

Entrepreneur

When I got my ECE degree (1994), ECE had more computer architecture and real time operating systems;  EE had more signal & systems and electromagnetics.

From a math standpoint, ECEs just had to know binary.  EEs had a lot of Calc-in-3d.

I took the easy route.

"I think ECE is less learning about radar, FM radio, and motors work"

ROFL! You just described my coursework (plus digital)

Philo

Philo

Philo,

I assume you were an EE since you said you hadn't heard of ECE... so I'm not sure I get the joke.  : )

Andy

Those were my first semester courses senior year - transmission lines, radar, and motors. Just seemed funny to see them all lumped together all at once.

Philo

Philo

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home