Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

brand-new environment, take 2

Hi.  as a quick update, I've been working for about a week now in a great atmosphere, and enjoy the productivity. 

There have been a couple hiccups (using Perforce with Vis Studio... had to reread the docs again...)  but i'm getting things going well.

I have a new computer coming, and I'll be able to put whatever OS I want on there.  (MSDN Universal)  I'm doing a lot of ASP.NET development, and right now I'm using WinXP.  I've used Win2000 Server for ASP.NET development in the past, and it was pretty nice.  My question now is, does anyone have any experience with developing on Win2003 Server?  Should I even consider making that move?  Should I stay with WinXP?  I've used Win2k Pro, Server, XP, and I'm comfortable in them all.  Any thoughts?

nathan
Thursday, August 14, 2003

Yes, we develop on Windows Server 2003, because that's our deployment environment. The changes in IIS are significant enough to warrant using it as a development environment, if that's your target environment.

I'm about to blog a list of things that you should "tweak" when using Windows Server 2003 as a desktop OS, to make it more tolerable. When I finish it, I'll post the link here.

Brad Wilson (dotnetguy.techieswithcats.com)

excellent!  thanks brad. 

also, i opened sharpedit, and looked at its footprint: 52MB used in memory... is this normal?  i didn't have anything opened in it except a web page...  VS runs closer to 32MB, if I recall correctly. 

nathan

You can't really use Task Manager to assess the footprint of an application -- especially with .NET applications, where there is a lot of transient RAM used at startup, to JIT things and to load the metadata for linked assemblies.

Brad Wilson (dotnetguy.techieswithcats.com)

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home