Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

Hi and Thanks

I wrote this post after reading The Iceberg Secret -

http://www.joelonsoftware.com/articles/fog0000000356.html

Absolutely fascinating,

I have been reading up on this website, for about 14 hours, I am a user dissatisfied with what I get, and want to 'build' for myself, I have learnt so much about the background for coding and so many pitfalls have been exposed so far, I am a far wiser person, and realise sadly, that I am one of those users who knows the 10% 'above water' A month ago I realised it will take me a year to get to grips with the programming and stopped rushing into building and more on understanding the basic structures of different applications, I mean I got to the point of not thinking of the UI but to the actual 'real stuff'

To be honest, I really can't wait to get stuck in to the other 90% I have limited 'basic' (and I mean basic, the last time I studied programming was twenty years ago at school) knowledge but think I will need so much more and can think of five different languages I need to learn so far!

I don't see much code around Joels site, but the WISDOM is immense,

Thank you all

Shauny

Shaun Crowther
Wednesday, August 13, 2003

Shawn

Although my enthusiasm is somewhat more bridled, I agree with the sentiment.

It's a great site!

B#
Wednesday, August 13, 2003

Shaun-

Good for you!  Most people with half a brain can learn to write code -- and it's usually bad code.  (=  Only time and experimentation will tell you whether you *are* a programmer, as opposed to being someone who can program.  (One is a skill, the other is an identity and an outlook on the world.)

I can suggest one thing that may save you a few years of frustration and pain:  start with one language and get to know it reasonably well.  And make damn sure it isn't C or C++!  ;>  I hear good things about Python (see link below), and the limited exposure I've had to it backs that up.

http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/hacker-howto.html#skills1

Visual Basic is also an easy language to learn; however, many of the things that make it approachable also make it easy to write exceptionally bad code (which is to say, code that compiles, and may even nominally do what it's supposed to, and which won't turn around and bite you in the ass until much later).  You can become a reasonably good programmer if you start in VB (I did), but it may add a few years to your task.  (=

Sam Livingston-Gray
Thursday, August 14, 2003

"I don't see much code around Joels site, but the WISDOM is immense"

That because this forum was created by Joel so people could discuss the articles he has written.  Most posts made here discuss generic software development issues/topics.  Coding forums for software developers (places where you will see lots of code) are all over the place, but this type of forum is currently very rare.

One Programmer's Opinion
Thursday, August 14, 2003

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home