Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

Loophole or Trick?

<<<
we promised to upgrade all CityDesk 1.0 Home or Pro Edition users to CityDesk 2.0 Pro for free when 2.0 ships. So basically while I'm looking at fjords and glaciers, you can buy the 1.0 home edition for $79 and get the 2.0 pro edition free when I get home, saving $270.>>>

Normally, the best thing to do about it is to keep as quiet as possible. Maybe Joel wants people to buy it and is using this as a trick?. 

justwondering
Tuesday, August 12, 2003

No disrespect intended. just wondering.

justwondering
Tuesday, August 12, 2003

Oh, I don't know, *think* about it....

John Rosenberg
Tuesday, August 12, 2003

As my son says, repeatedly:  No D'uh!

Harshly Sternington
Tuesday, August 12, 2003

its startling the insights that technical people are capable of..

FullNameRequired
Tuesday, August 12, 2003

It's not a trick. It's called a promotion.

Just like when the normal cost of something is $100, and temporarily a shop near you sells it at $85.

They usually do this to increase sales in slow parts of the year.

B.J. Thunderstone
Tuesday, August 12, 2003

Besides getting more customers in the door, it's also keeping all the old CD 1.0 Home version customers really happy. And happy customers tell their friends, family, workmates, etc.

Fog Creek's customer service has definitely won my loyalty. They've helped me personally via email (how many companies are there where you can talk directly to one of the developers?), the CD 1.0 service packs were free, the upgrade to CD 2.0 Home was going to be free, and then they upgraded us from Home to Pro for free! I now feel that even if I have to pay a price to upgrade to 3.0 Pro, I'll be getting good value and I have confidence that it'll be worth it.

Darren Collins
Wednesday, August 13, 2003

If you hung out in the CityDesk forum you'd know that a lot of people really hated the licensing structure for CityDesk. Fog admitted they screwed up & made ammends, and did so publicly. That really is the best policy, and I'm sure it's not some sort of trick on the part of Fog Creek.

www.marktaw.com

It's also the fact that changing licenses has blowback.  So you don't alienate customers, you mitigate the anger of people who liked the previous pricing.

peter f.

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home