Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

Any opinions on GoToMyPC(access ur PC via browser)

I personally ahve no need for it but my boss(CEO, non tech) thinks it can be the best thing since slice bread.  Before I OK it for him I was hoping to hear from JoS readers about it.

Quick summary - you install a software on the PC you want to share and then access it from anywhere via a browser.  The only thing required is to install a plugin or use a java version of it.

http://www.gotomypc.com

Please share your thoughts on this or similar products.

tekumse
Tuesday, August 12, 2003

I prefer to use TightVNC for the same purpose. It's free.

Does your CEO know how slow these programs are at updating the screen?

He may be disappointed when he gets his hands on GotoMyPC.

B.J. Thunderstone
Tuesday, August 12, 2003

I've been using RealVNC ( www.realvnc.com ) for months now and it works like a charm! I highly recommend it to anyone who does remote administration and maintenence. Did I miss it ... its free / open source (GNU).

EastIndian
Tuesday, August 12, 2003

i've used GotoMyPc several months, it's VERY SLOW and sometimes are hard to use.
expensive if you don't use it daily.

thech support sucks, maily only copy/paste answers from an simple Q&A database without reading your comments.

Guillermo
Tuesday, August 12, 2003

I third the VNC suggestion. The client is about 180K so you can have it on a floppy disk. TThe server you can simply leave running; I don't remember it taking up much RAM, and it sits unobtrusively on the system tray. There was no web browser client when I was using it, but there might be now.

Performance seemed to be variable. Sometimes it was great, other times really bad. But even when really bad, it was perfectly usable.

Tom
Tuesday, August 12, 2003

I agree with VNC.  Plus, the VNC people have NEVER spammed me.

Mike
Tuesday, August 12, 2003

Why not install it on  a server and use Terminal Services? I use VNC only when no other option is available since it is extremely slow, often misses screen updates etc. It is ok for an occasional admin/support task, but I would not want to use it on a regular basis for applications. TS otoh is extremely fast, even over slower connections.

Just me (Sir to you)
Tuesday, August 12, 2003

If you configure VNC correctly, it NEVER misses screen updates.

Also, use TightVNC - it compresses the communication.

B.J. Thunderstone
Tuesday, August 12, 2003

Stuff like this is way over-marketed to end users who don't have the knowledge to understand that physical limitations will make it less than satisfactory. The fact that GotoMyPC was being pushed like those X10 cameras a few months ago stigmatizes it, IMO.

Another over marketed computer fad of dubious quality: those Emerson "multiple telephone line" boxes that claim that you can Y off of a single residential line to your fax, PC, and voice phone.

What I tell the many end users who have bugged me about this type of device is that: NO, it will NOT be reliable, ISPs disconnect you if you call wait off their connection, NO it does not magically give you 3 lines for the price of 1, YOU NEED CALL WAITING FROM THE PHONE COMPANY AND IT COSTS!!!, "duh, it says just plug it in, what's call waiting"... etc etc...

A pox on these companies! Jerks!! :-(

PS: Yeah, use VNC. Real easy to set up. Same basic thing.

Bored Bystander
Tuesday, August 12, 2003

Sorry to desent on the anti-gotomyPC parade.

I have used it a couple times.  A large company I contracted for used it exculsively for remoting into their PCs. When I needed to look at their server, I just went to the GotomyPC website typed in a password and I was in. No stuff to install on my PC. The speed was comparable to VNC (which I uas a lot).

I think it is a great tool for mobile tech support users were you don't want to be installing a remote client on every PC.

I think it is a bit pricy so YMMV.  :-)

DJ
Tuesday, August 12, 2003

Haven't used gotomypc, so can't comment on it.

Have used VNC and TightVNC, and the performance difference is noticeable.  When TightVNC works (i.e., firewalls are properly configured), it works very well.

Also, my old boss uses eBLVD.com for online demos when TightVNC can't get through the client's firewall and reports always being able to connect.  However, I used it as a remote client and found it annoying, since it waits to update the screen until the entire contents of a window have been transferred (which makes it feel very sluggish, and is also a waste of time, since often you're going to do something else that'll just change the window again).

Sam Livingston-Gray
Tuesday, August 12, 2003

Are you using Windows XP Professional? It has a single-user Terminal Services server built in. Enable it from Control Panel > System > Remote > Remote Desktop.

Duncan Smart
Tuesday, August 12, 2003

I used to be a developer working on GoToMyPC.

It's useful if you need to access your PC from multiple public locations (like airport terminals, internet cafes, etc..).. If you ONLY access your PC from one or two known locations (ie your laptop or home computer), then go with VNC.

boo ya
Tuesday, August 12, 2003

Hmmm..

Actually, I think the best alternative to that one is that if you have a reasonable likelyhood of knowing an IP address or DNS address of a machine, VNC works great.

I used VNC from hotels and whatnot with the builtin Java client.  Even from Suns and SGIs.

Flamebait Sr.
Wednesday, August 13, 2003

GoToMyPc is now obsolete.  All the cool people are using blaster these days

Mike
Thursday, August 14, 2003

Does the VNC Java client perform compression like TightVNC?

M. Ranjit Mathews
Sunday, February 15, 2004

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home