Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

80% VMWare in Munich - probably not

I've briefly been through the PDF file that Joel links to in his follow up to his "Linux in Munich" post (Thursday, July 17, 2003).

Joel states that:
"It seems like the answer to my sweet and innocent question about backwards compatibility is that they're actually going to install Linux, but on many machines (as many as 80%?) there will be VMWare running a licensed copy of Windows inside."

This is somewhat inaccurate, as far as I can see.
I've found that this report states that due to "calculatory precaution", it was originally assumed that 80% of the workplaces had to be fitted with VMWare for a period of 4-5 years.
However, substantial savings in the original proposal were found, because IBM and SuSE would provide migration know-how for free, and because SuSE garanteed lower costs in desktop migration due to employment of alternatives to VMWare and due to alternative migration methods.

All in all, 80% VMWare in Munich does not seem to be the plan.

Has anyone else read the report? Anyone else noticed this?

Martin A. Boegelund
Monday, August 11, 2003

Do you really believe that "IBM and SuSE would provide migration know-how for free"?

Johnny Bravo
Monday, August 11, 2003

If they provided it on that line of the bill for free, its only because they found a way to write it in somewhere else.

Robert Moir
Monday, August 11, 2003

I assuming they were using simple business applications on Windows. So why aren't they using Wine? Its free and a lot of applications can work in it.  Maybe not Wine but one of the commercial wine solutions it should be cheaper (also hardware based) then vmware or as last choice (I think it has been mentioned) use a terminal server.

smurfy
Monday, August 11, 2003

Do I believe IBM and SuSE will provide migration know-how for free?

It's not so much what I believe. It's what the report states. If Joel cites the report for things that fuel his "I love Microsoft" engine, he should at least tell the whole story.

Furthermore, Ballmer cancelled his vacation and went to Munich to offer them a 50-90% discount. I don't know how big a percentage the VMWare part of the deal was, but I doubt it was more than 50%.

So if MS can offer a 50%+ discount, why is it so strange that IBM and SuSE can offer less? Its a package, so you can't look at the free migration know-how separately.

Martin A. Boegelund
Monday, August 11, 2003

Careful martin, the last person to disagree with johnny bravo was accused of trying to blame western civilisation for the starving hordes in egypt (or something like that, I forget the details)...

FullNameRequired
Monday, August 11, 2003

"Do you really believe that "IBM and SuSE would provide migration know-how for free"? "

There's a reason that supermarkets sell stuff more cheaply than can be possible as well.

Tuesday, August 12, 2003

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home