Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

stock return software

I've been investing in individual stocks since '97, and I have a general idea how I've done, but now I want to compare to the overall market (or my S&P indexes) to see if I should give up.

Anyone have reccomendations for software that will let me enter all my purchases and sales and give me % returns and compare to the S&P?  I've got most of my trades in Yahoo, but it doesn't compare to the market and I'm not in love with the interface.  Free and web based would be good.  I also have a recent copy of Money that came free with my last tax software, but I haven't installed it.

Thanks,
Ted

Ted Graham
Sunday, August 10, 2003

"I also have a recent copy of Money that came free with my last tax software, but I haven't installed it."

Isn't is amazing how often we already have the answer to our own questions?

Norrick
Sunday, August 10, 2003

Excel or write a quick web app. If you want to pay TradeStation is good.

Tom Vu
Sunday, August 10, 2003

MetaStock is slightly cheaper than Tradestation, and is also good.

Konrad
Monday, August 11, 2003

I believe this will work
http://www.quantixsoftware.com/featr.html

Mike
Monday, August 11, 2003

I second the  excel vote

No need to invest in some fancy software when all you need is a spreadsheet.

Tapiwa
Monday, August 11, 2003

Tapiwa, funny you put it that way.  A lot of businesses are asking themselves the same question comparing office and open office.

Mike
Monday, August 11, 2003

The spread sheet could get complicated when you consider dividend reinvestment, taxes, etc.  Funny how brokerages don't offer this.  Doing taxes is a serious pain, which should be automated. 

Then there is the question as to whether the S&P 500 is the right benchmark.  StyleAnalysis anyone?

christopher baus
Monday, August 11, 2003

"The spread sheet could get complicated when you consider dividend reinvestment, taxes, etc. "

Which again is why this
http://www.quantixsoftware.com/featr.html is nice.  It is $49 or $59.

If the spread sheet will take you more than an hour or two tops, you probably want to buy a solution

Mike
Monday, August 11, 2003

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home