Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

What tools do you use to create your feature set?

Hi All,

Last week, I have being assign a new groupware project from my company. This is my first time writing the feature set and use cases for the software requirement document for such a big project. It's going to have a feature set similar to MS Exchange Server. Normally, I either use a spreedsheet or a word processor to write the feature set and then use an UML editor or Visio to create the use cases for small and medium size projects. I have being pondering what is the best way and best tool to write the feature set and use case that it can be easily sortable and viewable by different criterias. For example, I want to sort the feature set by release and risk, or by release and priority, or by functional area. If I write this in a word document or excel, I can't sort the spreedsheet or document and also it's very hard to navigate throught. Therefore, I thought the best option is to write and store the feature set and use cases in a database where you can easily create different types of sorting templates. That way, you can export them to a html document as your final feature set or use case document. Also, you can easily create your own reports and charts. Since this is similar to a bug tracking system and shouldn't be that hard to write one either. Therefore, I thought I can easily find a tool that will fulfill this requirements. Unfortunately, I search all over the web from various software portal sites, news sites, and magazine sites and came back for the past 4 days and came back with an empty hand. So I ask you all. What tools do most big companies use to create and manage their software requirement documents, specially for the feature set and use case? How would you tackle this problem? What's your thought on this? Thanks in advance.

-Kenneth

Kenneth Zha
Sunday, August 10, 2003

It sounds like you want whats called a "requirements tracibility matrix"

try googling for that, maybe you will find some templates. I just do mine in Excel

Dan G
Sunday, August 10, 2003

If money is not an object, check out http://www.rational.com/products/reqpro/index.jsp

I haven't used it, though, but it seems like it is a tool for you. It has an on-line demo and possibly a free trial. See for yourself.

Azazello
Monday, August 11, 2003

"I have being pondering what is the best way and best tool to write the feature set and use case that it can be easily sortable and viewable by different criterias. "

Kenneth,

Some companies create their own in-house system while others use expensive requirements management tools.  Caliber RM from Borland, Rational's RequisitePro, and Telelogic's DOORS are probably the most popular commercial products.

DOORS seems to be the requirements management tool that most people (who have evaluated them all) recommend to others.

One Programmer's Opinion
Monday, August 11, 2003

Thanks for the tips guys. I'll check them out and hope it's pretty easy to use like fogcreek's product and customiable and flexiable. *wink wink*.

-Kenneth

Kenneth Zha
Tuesday, August 12, 2003

Kenneth,

Check out Sparks Enterprise Architect, great on features, great on price.

Anthony
Monday, April 05, 2004

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home