Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

Nice to know we're not the only ones

Ah, one great thing about globalization - growing proof that the negative stereotypes assigned to Americans aren't always because we're USAian, but because we're human (in other words, it ain't just us)

I just got this from an EDI mailing list:
"Dear EAI Architect,

How are you doing !

I represent Zend Consulting Services, a premier  Recruitment Solutions and Executive Search firm specializing in Information Technology and Senior Level Recruitments. We deal with several of the Best IT organizations.

At this time we are recruiting in Large numbers for our one of our Multinational clients in Mumbai and Pune. [...]"

I am seeing a *lot* of job openings lately that don't happen to mention they're in India. After ten years of "Where is this 'Oregon'? Don't forget we don't all live in the US" now I'm getting hard proof that geographic myopia is not a uniquely American thing. [grin]

Philo

Philo
Friday, August 08, 2003

Oregon is in Wisconsin.

Now do I have to explain where Wisconsin is?  :-)

Z
Friday, August 08, 2003

And Milwauke is in Oregon. Go figure. ;-)

Chris Tavares
Friday, August 08, 2003

Philo,

Oregon is between Redmond and Mountain View. The members of Portland Java User's Group think it's closer to Mountain View while the Portland Dot Net User's Group think it's closer to Redmond. :)

If anyone actually cares, Milwaukie, OR was named after Milwaukee, WI, but the founding fathers got the spelling wrong. Doh!

Nick
Friday, August 08, 2003

Actually, the founding fathers of Milwaukie (sorry I spelled it wrong above) actually chose the spelling deliberately, from what I heard. You see, they didn't want to confuse people about which city they were talking about.

;-)

Chris Tavares
Friday, August 08, 2003

Correct spelling seems to be a problem for the majority of americans today. Sad.

SK
Friday, August 08, 2003

I live in Portland (that'd be in Oregon, naturally), and I think you'd be pretty hard-pressed to find a town in Oregon that *wasn't* named after another city somewhere else.  Or a person (e.g., Boring).

With the possible exception of Drain, Oregon.  I have no idea what they were smoking... hey, maybe someone moved there from Weed, CA?  (=

Sam Livingston-Gray
Friday, August 08, 2003

"I live in Portland (that'd be in Oregon, naturally),"

Unless you live in Maine...naturally :)

sgf
Sunday, August 10, 2003

If memory serves, there is also a Fork, OR... isn't there? My sister and I laughed for miles after passing the sign for that on one of our road trips.

HeyCoolAid!
Monday, August 11, 2003

The distinction between Portland, Maine and Portland, Oregon, is quite familiar to anyone who plays the game "Rail Baron." Especially if they like to purchase the Boston and Maine railroad for a measly $4,000 :-)

http://www.insystem.com/rbp/

Reginald Braithwaite-Lee
Monday, August 11, 2003

>>> If memory serves, there is also a Fork, OR. <<<

It's Forks, WA.  I passed through there on a trip up the coast several years ago.  In fact, IIRC, it was one of my overnight stops along the way.

I can't quite figure out why the name would be so humorous.

mackinac
Monday, August 11, 2003

George, Washington (about 30 miles east of where I-90 crosses the Colombia) is a far more amusing town name.

Alyosha`
Monday, August 11, 2003

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home