Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

Bob Noxious -- the true story

[How about an update, RealPC?  Did the guy start using headphones or what?]

Oh, I forgot to report what finally happened.
I spoke to our mutual boss, who said he would ask Bob's supervisor to tell him to start using headphones.
The next day the music was gone!
However, that was only because Bob came in late. As soon as he arrived, he turned on his speakers louder than ever.
I waited a while, becoming quite angry and frustrated, still unable to work. After a while, Bob's supervisor went in and spoke to him about headphones. I went in also and completely lost my temper. I said "Bob you are driving me crazy and I can't concentrate because of your music. It starts out low and gets louder and louder as the day goes on. I have some good headphones you can borrow, if you want."
Bob replied that he had listened from outside his cubicle and was not able to hear anything. I told him that my hearing is better than his.
Later on my boss asked what happened and I told him. He said I should have complained to him and he would have taken care of it (well I did, and he didn't, but I didn't want to say that).

Ever since then -- and it's been weeks -- I have been able to concentrate and work and have not heard anything from Bob's direction. Of course he probably hates me now. And everyone knows that The Real PC is actually capable of getting angry.

The Real PC
Friday, August 08, 2003

Depending on how loud you were in Bob's mgr's office, you may also be looked upon by everyone as the office nutcase now.

Not Joel Spolsky
Friday, August 08, 2003

So you woke up?  Grats~

Wake me up inside
Friday, August 08, 2003

"Of course he probably hates me now. And everyone knows that The Real PC is actually capable of getting angry."

Good for you... Sometimes you have to show you have a pair.

Cletus
Friday, August 08, 2003

Way to go, PC.  As was already well-stated, sometimes you just have to show that you've got a pair.

-Thomas

Thomas
Friday, August 08, 2003

Hmm. And people who don't have a pair are shit out of luck?

Jeremy
Friday, August 08, 2003

I enjoy listening to my radio at a reasonable volume...and if Sandra's going to listen to her headphones while she's filing, then I should be able to listen to the radio while I'm collating.

Milton
Friday, August 08, 2003

"Hmm. And people who don't have a pair are shit out of luck? "

Jeremy,

All you have to do is give the appearance that they're there.:)

Cletus
Friday, August 08, 2003

A pair is useless against a full house.

Alyosha`
Friday, August 08, 2003

"All you have to do is give the appearance that they're there.:) "

Yelling in other peoples offices is _not_ the way to show you have a pair, since that's the way women would handle this kind of situation (Yes, I know that women also have a pair, but not _that_ pair).

So how do you show you have a pair?
Well, try the "Roadhouse" approach:
"Be nice. And when it's time not to be nice, take it outside!"

;-)

Martin A. Boegelund
Sunday, August 10, 2003

You know what? If you don't defend your rights, people may and will step all over them!

Sometimes you have to fight them (verbally).

Sometimes you even have to even swear at them in order to make them behave reasonably.

It seems the average geek is afraid of getting a little tough on people. That's too bad.

Not all problems can be solved by being polite and nice, because not all people are polite and nice.

B.J. Thunderstone
Monday, August 11, 2003

"you may also be looked upon by everyone as the office nutcase now"

Which brings its own advantages.

Monday, August 11, 2003

I'm not telling people to not defend their rights.

I'm just saying that you can get a long way with being nice, as long as people now (or think) that when you start _not_ being nice, you will go all the way.

If you show that your way of not being nice only consists of a little yelling, people will not automatically try to avoid situatons where you're not nice.

"Step on RealPC's rights? No problem! He'll just yell - that's not scary, I've seen it a million times."

Martin A. Boegelund
Monday, August 11, 2003

First of all I didn't yell, I just turned up the volume a little. Saying "you're driving me crazy" was probably not a good choice of words, even though it was true.
But Bob Noxious' speakers have been shut down, so obviously management knew he was wrong and I was right. He has a reputation for being loud and inconsiderate. I think he's probably a nice guy but in his own world. My earlier polite requests were too subtle for him. Saying "your music prevents me from concentrating" did not mean, to him, that I wanted him to turn it off. Maybe he thought I was just making an comment.

The Real PC
Monday, August 11, 2003

so did he use your headphones, his own headphones or just turn the music off??

i like i
Tuesday, August 12, 2003

He didn't use mine, probably got his own. I think he could easily afford them.

The Real PC
Wednesday, August 13, 2003

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home