Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

Windows does not recognise .exe files

When I try to open a .exe file windows asks me with what kind of program I want to open it. Windows does this since I've downloaded & installed Tune Up Utilities 2003. Can someone help me and tell me how I can make those .exe executable again?
I would be very thankfull.

Greetings LA

Laas Auke
Friday, August 08, 2003

I would call the makers of Tune up and tell them.  Maybe they can help.  Typically your problem is due to your registry being fubarred.  Probably you are going to have to repave.

Mike
Friday, August 08, 2003

:-(

The registry contains an association for .EXE files, which appears to be invalid, but which is absolutely necessary for .EXE files to work!

If TuneUp Utilities deleted that association, then running .EXE files doesn't work.

If you have Windows XP, press WIN+F1, then choose System Restore in the window that appears.

I know this because my company also makes an utility that validates file associations, and, in the early alpha version (which was obviously not public), it caused the same problems.

Now the file association validation tool is well-tested, works properly, and will be included in the next version.

Can't tell you which utility it is - sorry. :)

Michael
Friday, August 08, 2003

Windows Registry Editor 5.00

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\exefile]
@="Application"
"EditFlags"=hex:38,07,00,00

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\exefile\DefaultIcon]
@="%1"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\exefile\shell]

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\exefile\shell\open]
"EditFlags"=hex:00,00,00,00

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\exefile\shell\open\command]
@="\"%1\" %*"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\exefile\shellex]

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\exefile\shellex\PropertySheetHandlers]

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\exefile\shellex\PropertySheetHandlers\PifProps]
@="{86F19A00-42A0-1069-A2E9-08002B30309D}"

Rick Childress
Friday, August 08, 2003

I have a similar problem on my WinXP box at work. When I try to run certain .EXEs from either the command-line or the File Explorer, I get an error that the file cannot be found! This sounds like a virus or something. There were some mentions of this problem on Google Groups, but no solutions. :-(

runtime
Friday, August 08, 2003

Try the sircam removal tool at symantec (see below link)- sircam also causes this particular problem as a defence to prevent removal - however the removal tool is not an exe so you can still run it by downloading to floppy and then executing it from the run command.  You can also create this problem by trying to associate exe files with an executable option in W.E - as one of our young techo's found out :-(  There is also another fix - you can reboot the PC using a boot disk and at the command prompt type scanreg /restore - then choose an earlier time when your PC was working to restore back to.

http://securityresponse.symantec.com/avcenter/venc/data/w32.sircam.worm@mm.removal.tool.html

Steve
Thursday, May 06, 2004

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home