Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

Annoying use of Javascript..

Check this:

http://www.voyagenow.com/

If you are not on T1, it will take bit of time to download stuff. And if by chance you want to click on something which is already shown you will be greeted with message:

---------------------------
Microsoft Internet Explorer
******* Page not loaded completely ********

------------------------------------------------------
Please allow the page to load completely.
Click "OK" for the javascript that will follow-up.
------------------------------------------------------
OK 

Hm...I wonder how annoying one can get!

Regards,
JD

JD
Friday, August 08, 2003

Even more annoying is the fact that the popup calendar
for check-in-date which pops up over the "Room" edit boxes, but the edit boxes are still in front of the calendar.

They must have a seriously broken QA department :-)

Patrik
Friday, August 08, 2003

The popup calendar would appear nicely over editboxes. But they aren't editboxes, they are dropdownlists which have the nasry habit of having a window of their own that doesn't comply with the z-order of HTML objects.

Doe anyone have an idea how to deal with this "feature"?
I recently solved this problem by hiding the dropdownlists when the popup area was shown (very similar situation as this one).
The popup calendar showed nicely but it's not like the prettiest solution ever.

Any suggestions?

Geert-Jan Thomas
Friday, August 08, 2003

Can't be done.

You'll have to move the drop downs where they won't be covered by the calendar.

UI Designer
Friday, August 08, 2003

Disable javascript in your browser.

Friday, August 08, 2003

Somehow they're doing it here:

http://www.milonic.com/menu/overforms_sample.php

Wayne
Friday, August 08, 2003

Actually, an easy way of doing it is by just setting style.visibility="hidden" on any problematic select boxes.

I use this trick all the time.  I've never been able to get the select box to be partly showing though like the Milonic sample.

I don't really care though if the select box dissappears for a moment while the calendar/menu or whatever is showing.

Wayne
Friday, August 08, 2003

How does milonic do it?

Joel Spolsky
Friday, August 08, 2003

Good question...  I've always had that problem, and thought there was no good way around it.  I had read that selects in IE are windowed controls, and there was nothing to be done about it.  Put "figure out how they did it" in the queue of things to do...

Brian
Friday, August 08, 2003

They're using popup windows with the Alpha Filter applied:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/workshop/author/filter/reference/filters/alpha.asp

As stated before, SELECT elements are windowed controls and do not participate in z-ordering. Window.popup can be used to cover them.

Interaction Architect
Friday, August 08, 2003

"They must have a seriously broken QA department "

They had one QA guy, but they fired him and they're not going to hire a replacement...

Philo

Philo
Friday, August 08, 2003

FYI, the form elements are supposed to appear over everything else in order to prevent keystroke capture by illegitimate means.

!
Saturday, August 09, 2003

I don't think they're using a popup. I haven't looked at the HTML, but I think they're clipping the dropdowns. If you look behind the alpha-filter, there's no dropdowns, at least on my system.

FWIW, you can see a bug in their system. Hover those menus, they cover the dropbox. Now, hover the main page-navigation menus (home, development...) then immediately go to hover the lower ones again. Voila, the drops appear above the menu...

J
Sunday, August 10, 2003

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home