Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

what package for processing photos? (on XP)

i want to write a small app for bulk processing photos on windows XP. this is a port of some old perl script i once used for the same thing. can someone recommend an image processing SDK for .NET ?  i know at some point joel integrated image stuff into city desk, and i think he used lead tools. what are the other options to leadtools, and what else should i think about?

thanks!

disclaimers:

- i know there are already applications that do this kind of thing. however, i am a programmer, i like programming, and i want to write this myself, for fun. so please don't point out how i should be using imageslabber.com or some random shareware utility.

-i also want to do this using visual studio and .net. thus please don't tell me to install active state perl and imagemagick...because i already did that. i just want to build a .net app that does the same kind of thing. but maybe a little better.  thanks again.

Thursday, August 07, 2003

More than what the GDI+ libraries provide? There is a LOT of native image capability in .Net (as usual, you have to know to look before you know to look...)

Philo

Philo

It rather depends on what you want to achieve.

For example, I have written stuff that, given a folder with images in it, will create other (hidden) folders in which are generated scaled down versions of the image.  I do this for a website, so that if there's a picture posted, a thumbnail is generated automatically, along with an image no larger than 600 pixels in either axis for general viewing (the user can click on that if they really want the (possibly very large) original image).

I did that in C#, and it's very easy using the built-in functionality.  I don't  think that's really what you were after hearing, but then I think there are some details missing from your post in terms of what you really want to achieve.

I'd be glad to show you what I did, but it's honestly not rocket science.

Nick Furness

actually it sounds like the built in GDI stuff might be what i need. thanks! 

You might take a look at WIAAut. (Free from Microsoft) It provides a fairly rich wrapper around GDIPlus and WIA. tlbimp can import it into a .Net assembly as well.

Sean Kelly

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home