Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

Interesting...

A quick WHOIS search on internic.net shows that UPS has registered the domain UpsSucks.com as well as the .net, .org, .info, and .biz variations, UPSstinks, IHateUPS, UPSbites, UPSblows, and who knows what else.

Not too secure of themselves, huh? In hindsight, Microsoft could've avoided Microsuck.com.

TJ Haeser, The Brazillian dude
Wednesday, August 06, 2003

Left your package in the rain today, did they?

Philo

Philo
Wednesday, August 06, 2003

It was widely publicized (in geek circles only perhaps)  that George Bush registered a slew a derogatory website names during the 2000 campaign.

Jason Watts
Thursday, August 07, 2003

"It was widely publicized (in geek circles only perhaps)  that George Bush registered a slew a derogatory website names during the 2000 campaign. "

I'm surprised Gore let that happen...I mean, he DID invent the Internet after all......

Mark Hoffman

Al gore didn't invent the internet (but then he never claimed to)
http://www.politechbot.com/p-01394.html
Has Vinton Cerfs take one this one (Who could at least be called one of the fathers of the internet)

Peter Ibbotson

I'm sorry, but IMHO Al Gore was trying to take credit for something that he encouraged, but did not *do*. Everything since then has been apologism and backpeddling. (Including Vint's commentary - technology is not immune to politics)

I've thought of a litmus test. To me, the two following statements are parallel snippets of description:
Al Gore took the initiative in creating the internet.
Ronald Reagan caused the breakup of the Soviet Union.

IMHO, if you can see that both statements are equivalent (at whatever level - right, wrong, or subject to interpretation) then you're making a fair analysis. If you think either statement is "right" while the other is "wrong," then you're making a political analysis.

Just my two cents.

Philo

Philo

"Al Gore took the initiative in creating the internet."

Let's see...AlGore was born March 31, 1948.

The proposal to construct ARPANET was put forth in 1968.

Al Gore had absolutely nothing, not even remotely, to do with the creation of ARPANET or DARPANET. He was just a 20 year old kid.

The famous quote is:

"During my service in the United States Congress,
  I took the initiative in creating the Internet."

Yes, he was involved in some legislation that *affected* the *already created and running* Internet, but that's it.

In his own words he claimed to have taking the initiative to create the Internet. And that's just a bald-face lie.

..And this from the same man who said his campaign web site was "Open Source" ROFLMAO!

Not Algore

No, the Pope caused the breakup of the Soviet Union.

Moliere

Actually I caused the breakup of the Soviet Union.  The details are classified, but suffice it to say it was all done with a 300 baud modem.  My phone bill that month was something you wouldn't believe.

:-)

-Thomas

Thomas

Al Gore didn't invent the internet, but I believe he designed some of the ALGOREithms for it!

GML

The point I was trying to make is that in the same sense that say Kennedy was responsible for getting a man on the moon, Gore was responsible for the internet we have today.
The fact that his political enemies managed to turn his statement that he "initiated" the internet into he "invented" proves they had better spin but if you look at the politics of the internet he's right.

This page has the exact quote of what he said (in context)
http://www.firstmonday.dk/issues/issue5_10/wiggins/

Personally I think he understood the ideas behind it and should be given lots of credit. He never said the word "invented" and in context it's clear he was talking about work in congress, where he could reasonably be said to be taking the initiative in creating the modern internet.

If you want to debunk this cite some other american politicians making speeches and writing for Byte at the time about the "data highway" (oh and don't forget to show why Vinton Cerf is wrong)

Since I don't live in the US this is all slightly academic to me and most of the pro-gore sites I could find googling seem to show a democratic bias, the anti sites were republican and seem to focus on timelines but offered no one else in congress to take his place. (i.e. none of the sites I found claimed that 5 other congress critters could be chosen instead of Gore)
I initially thought Gore claimed to have invented the internet however the discussion that was held in alt.folklore.computers about this was what changed my mind.

Peter Ibbotson
Friday, August 08, 2003

"Gore was responsible for the internet we have today. "

..and how do you figure that? I'm aware of precisely what he said and the proper context. I even quoted it above.

So what exactly did Algore do to bring us the Internet of today?

Granted, I don't like Al Gore one whit, but the issue here is with politicians (Repubs and Dems alike) *lying* to an audience to boost their popularity.

Gore tried to pull a fast one, he got caught and his apologist have spent the past 4 years trying to put a spin on it. He lied. He took credit for something he didn't do.

Not Algore
Friday, August 08, 2003

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home