Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

Job Titles

Are the meanings of job titles specific to each orgaization, or is it possible to generalize?
For example, what are the differences between application developers and programmer/analystis?
What are the differences between programmer/analyst I, II and II? How many years of experience is usually required for each?
Or does it all just depend on where you work?

The Real PC
Wednesday, August 06, 2003

Completely depends upon where you work.  One company's software engineer is another's software developer is another's computer programmer.

Hopefully this will now devolve into a flamewar about whether or not programmers can accurately be called engineers without certification.

Mister Fancypants

In my experience, only in the military do "job titles" hold much useful descriptive meaning, and that's primarily because there's a specific military occupational specialty (MOS) associated with that title ("specialty code" for officers, at least in the Army, anyway, but probably something similar in the other services). Most civilian job titles have been largely meaningless in terms of what they tell you about what the person actually does and the scope of their responsibilities.

Not completely useless, but mostly so.

anonQAguy

the smarter the firm or group the duller and more generic the title.

Tom Vu

I think my boss made up my title when he hired me @ my last job. Otherwise I'm a "project manager" no matter what I do.

www.marktaw.com

my work, your titles are (in ascending order):

* novice
* apprentice
* journeyman
* craftsman
* master craftsman

We're an odd bunch ;)

They don't mean anything obvious, which is good, because they never do mean anything anyway ;)

Mike Swieton
Thursday, August 07, 2003

I tend to think that the shorter the title, the more power you have.

Chi Lambda

I believe the company  I work for got their job titles/grades etc from the BCS:
http://www1.bcs.org.uk/link.asp?sectionID=574

not sure where it is on the site tho ...

blargle

Ah the BCS, now there's a 'professional' body that's in tune with its industry.

Hmmm.

Simon Lucy

Job titles on business cards are meaningless. Much more significant would be if we started to write the annual salary on business cards.

Ignore my ignorance

I personally can't *stand* the BCS.

I want a playoff system instead

Here's the BCS matrix:
http://www1.bcs.org.uk/DocsRepository/04600/4601/matrix.htm

Quite obviously designed by old school business managers - all the senior positions are management. Database design only goes up to level 6.

ooo... new topic...

Philo

Philo

My recent empoyer had 4 job titles (from lowest to highest):
- Analyst
- Associate
- Vice President
- Managing Director

Obviously it's in the Financials industry...  Just about all the 'worker bees' were Associates (Analysts were entry-level). If you managed anyone, you were probably a Vice-President.

RocketJeff

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home