Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

vmware - installed s/ware

Sorry, I know this is OT here, but I also know there are a lot of vmware fans in JoS-land and I couldn't see the answer to this on vmware's site (nor by a quick Google).

If I install vmware and then a Guest OS, can I use the copies of the application software which I already have installed, on both the host and Guest OS', or do I need to install second copies? If the latter, what is the likely position regarding licenses (and yes, I know YANAL :-)?

Wednesday, August 06, 2003

VMWare does not interfere with licencing. As far as the software is concerned, this is a real computer, so unless you have software licence clauses that especialy exempt a VM, I'd say you need  licences for 1+x computers, x being the number of VM's you install on.

Just me (Sir to you)

Feck. That's what I was afraid of :-(

I wonder what percentage of VMware (and similar) users actually buy additional licences for the software they run on their virtual machines? I bet it's not very high...

John Topley (www.johntopley.com)

I disagree. Unless the license specifically INCLUDES a clause that prohibits VMWare applications, I'd say you're fine. This is because most licenses are per machine and you still only have one machine. In addition, many licenses allow multiple use if they are not concurrent. In the end, I think you will only be "stuck" if you try to communicate between 2 copies of the same application and each one is keyed to be unique. In this case, I would think you'd have to get that extra license.

StickyWicket

If you are specifically talking about Microsoft software, you can get MSDN Universal.  This provides a license for a reasonable number of dev/test implementations.  The 'reasonable number' clause is not rigidly defined, but the principle is that these implementations are used only for development and testing, not actual work.

I set up a host machine with fully licensed products (because the MSDN stuff is not intended for production) then set up my dev/test VMs with the MSDN products covered by the test licenses.  Of course, in the XP world you have to be careful about product activation.  My MSDN Universal subscription included volume license keys of the XP products, but even they were limited to a specific number of installations.

Craig

+1 for MSDN. That's the best part of their license clause, is that it fits so well with VMware usage. :)

Brad Wilson (dotnetguy.techieswithcats.com)

"I disagree. Unless the license specifically INCLUDES a clause that prohibits VMWare applications, I'd say you're fine."

Unfortunately you are wrong. I had to sort this out with VMware, Inc. at one time since it was as you can imagine a big ticket item on a rollout of VMWare we were planning. Each VM is licencewise the same as a non-V M.

Just me (Sir to you)

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home