Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

MS slowly boiling?

More major applications being ported (even without the developer's participation or consent):

http://www.eweek.com/article2/0,3959,1210294,00.asp

Usability gap closing:

http://www.computerworld.com/softwaretopics/os/story/0,10801,83708,00.html?nas=AM-83708

Add to that the incentives for other nations to avoid reliance on an American company, Microsoft's utter alienation of the rest of the technology industry, and the incentives for companies and institutions to at least have a Linux pilot project to barter with MS for lower license fees.

The effect of each of these things only adds a little heat to the water in the pot, but over time, is it enough to boil the frog?

Jim Rankin
Tuesday, August 05, 2003

"Microsoft's utter alienation of the rest of the technology industry"

Care to elaborate on that amazing statement, or did you just check in from Slashdot with a bit more than the usual Open Source/GNU/Linux flush in your cheeks?

Woodrow Stool
Tuesday, August 05, 2003

sigh. i hope nothing bad happens to MS marketshare for a while. i was a linux developer since 1995. and now am really into .NET development, because I actually _like it better_.  go figure.

Tuesday, August 05, 2003

Whoa - I LOVE Microsoft products, but I'll absolutely agree that MS has done a LOT to alienate the software industry. To question that statement shows more MS brainwashing than making the statement indicates /. knee jerking. (IMHO)

Philo

Philo
Tuesday, August 05, 2003

"Care to elaborate on that amazing statement...?"

Ok, yes, it's a bit of a troll, but allow me to elaborate.

Joel's forward for "In Search of Stupidity" points out that MS revenues "make up 69% of the total revenues of all the top 100 companies combined" and summarizes "The personal computer software market is Microsoft".

So it just doesn't make sense to develop significant new markets on Windows, because MS WILL take that market from you if it becomes worth their while.  Nothing wrong with that, just a fact of life.  Current exceptions are the creative market like Adobe and Macromedia and Quark, and Quicken, who somehow seems to always stay one step ahead of the giant somehow.  And Adobe/Macromedia/Quark still have significant numbers of users on the Mac, which lets them hedge their bets a little.  And I'm sure there's a few others, but they're all crammed into that %31 while MS has %69 and their share will probably increase even more over time.

The result is that every other large technology vendor that wants to have long term success vending their own technology needs to be somewhere other than Windows.  Oracle, IBM, Novell, HP, etc. heavily push Linux.  They also all push Java, along with Sun, of course, who is also forced by the market to push Linux.  WebLogic is Java, and they're strengthening their Linux story.  Apple depends on Office but Safari and Keynote show they want to be free of MS wherever they can.  Intel is tied closely to MS, but even they seem to want Linux to do well on their chips to have a little bit of leverage on MS.  Dell loves MS, but that's only because they don't have any technology.  And even they sell Linux.

And the cable and consumer electronics industries are scared to death to use MS software because they believe, with good reason, that MS will take over their business if they get a foothold.

In summary, the industry has learned that supporting non-MS technologies lessens their dependence on (and vulnerability to) the business world's fiercest competitor.

Jim Rankin
Tuesday, August 05, 2003

"sigh. i hope nothing bad happens to MS marketshare for a while. i was a linux developer since 1995. and now am really into .NET development, because I actually _like it better_.  go figure."

There's always Mono.

:)

Jim Rankin
Tuesday, August 05, 2003

I'm sure Microsoft is shaking in their boots. All those "rest of the industry" will soon realise they've been alienated and stop developing useful software using VB. .NET, C++ for 90 percent of the world's computers.

Yeh, I can see it happening.

Tuesday, August 05, 2003

Aw, it's such a shame to be "crammed into" only $11 billion. 

SomeBody
Tuesday, August 05, 2003

So Microsoft has some real competition.  That sounds pretty good to me as it gives them an incentive to build better systems, be more responsive etc.

john
Tuesday, August 05, 2003

Jim,
IBM and Oracle have not become Linux shops. Instead, they try to sell to both worlds. So, trying to reduce dependency on one platform vendor does not always mean you completely switch to another one.

Johnny Bravo
Tuesday, August 05, 2003

A new OS release from Microsoft in 5 years will be akin to "What if they had a war, and no one came." 

Maybe if they released the service pack ahead of the product?

Mike
Tuesday, August 05, 2003

Gnu/Linux is adding pressure, but Microsoft is unusually smart for its size.  Did you hear about Microsoft's opensource test lab?
http://slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=03/08/05/228219&mode=nested&tid=109&tid=187

Tayss
Wednesday, August 06, 2003

The testlab will have the same problem most of Microsoft's studies do, they are done and paid for by MS.  Even when companies are brought in to provide "independent" verification, the results appear tainted. 

MSHack
Wednesday, August 06, 2003

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home