Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

Blatant, unadulterated plug for FogBugz

You know, I'm sitting here working through bugs in Fogbugz, and I really have to say that it's one of the true jewels of software - an application that simply does what you need it to without wrestling with it, or it crashing, or having to "learn the way of [x]"

It's pleasant to look at, easy to work with, easy to set up.... I wish all software was like this.

Obviously I'm not affiliated with Fog Creek, but I spend enough time bitching about crap that doesn't work it only seems fair to praise the stuff that does.

Philo

Philo
Tuesday, August 05, 2003

FWIW, I've been happy with Mantis.

The fact it's free (it's only for personal use) and platform-independent (my web server) was the clincher for me -- those criteria ruled out FogBugz, as good as it looked, and bugzilla looks and feels like it was hacked together as one ad hoc decision after another.

Joe Grossberg
Tuesday, August 05, 2003

My biggest complaint regarding Mantis is the fact that active development is kind of sporadic.  Not having any reassurance that existing bugs and missing features are being addressed caused the switch for me.  Sure, since it's open source I could address those problems myself, but I don't have the time to do so.

Elephant
Tuesday, August 05, 2003

I've been happy using Mantis and have set it up at several offsite locations for non-technical companies. They've all been able to make good use of it with very minimal instructions. I'm sure FogBugz is great (I haven't tried it), but sometimes you can beat the price tag on Mantis :)

jedidjab79
Tuesday, August 05, 2003

IIRC, Joel previously knocked the silly "feature checklist comparison" approach in software marketing.

But still, wouldn't it be a good idea to explicitly state why people should get FogBugz instead of Mantis or Bugzilla (assuming they haven't already used Bugzilla ... heh), and CityDesk instead of Contribute or TypePad?

Why not go into those reasons, instead of making a Fog Creek fan do the research and then articulate them himself?

Joe
http://www.joegrossberg.com

Joe Grossberg
Tuesday, August 05, 2003

I have also used FogBugz on a small project, and I found it to be great. There were a few missing features in the version I was using, but it was good to use.
I dont know if it would be suited to larger projects, or those distributed geographically.

James Ladd
Tuesday, August 05, 2003

I'm using it on a large project where 90% of the users are non-technical. I have not received a single call related to using FogBugz. Not a one!

That alone should be reason to purchase the product.

Marc
Wednesday, August 06, 2003

I could say the same about Windows XP.

A real pleasure to work with.

Being as uneducated and primitive as I am I use Excel for tracking bugs.

(the other) Anon coward

I use Quick TO-DO Pro and put bugs in a TO-DO list maintained with this program.

My main problem with Fog Bugs and Mantis is that they are web apps.

I prefer Windows applications.

John K.

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home