Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

software licensing not clearly stated in site

pardon my bad english.

My question is why some of the software publisher dón't publish their licensing scheme on the website?

nicola
Tuesday, August 05, 2003

It probably depends on the type of software. For enterprise applications that I've looked at, none of the pricing or licensing info was available on-line. My conclusion after dealing with these guys was that they put as little as possible on the web so that you'd be forced to call or email, and they could follow-up with a sales call to put on the full court press.

Nick
Tuesday, August 05, 2003

It's easier to break down resistence to the licensing terms once they're part way through installation.

#
Tuesday, August 05, 2003

Prices and licenses can be talked about. Usually the real money comes from spin-off consultancy, training, development, etc.

Geert-Jan
Tuesday, August 05, 2003

Sometimes, the pricing scheme is very complex, and they want to have you talk to a person to assess your needs before they can even talk about what services you'd need, and what the price is.

If you're a small company, stay away from anybody who doesn't post a price. Their services are going to be out of your league.

Brad Wilson (dotnetguy.techieswithcats.com)
Tuesday, August 05, 2003

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home