Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

Joel on Tech TV's 'The Screensavers'

My previous post got deleted - admittedly it was cryptically abbreviated - so I will re-post this question.

Last year, Joel announced that he would be on Tech TV's The Screensavers, but shortly afterward had to cancel. They assumed he would fly to SF (at his own expense, I think), and he assumed he could do a remote from NY. Well, it didn't work out that way, so the gig was called off.

So I was wondering if there will ever be a chance to see Joel on Screensavers?

After all, I can watch only so many Tivo and Xbox mods, "how to create a shortcut to your desktop" tips, and lame Martin Sargent celebrity interviews. It'd be nice to bring that show up to its occasional glory by having a decent guest on.

anon
Monday, August 04, 2003

Or, if the show sucks so much (and it does, just like everything else on Tech TV), you could just stop watching it.

Mister Fancypants
Monday, August 04, 2003

They were willing to pay for the flight to San Francisco, I just wasn't willing to fly cross country and waste a couple of days for a random show on cable. :)

Joel Spolsky
Monday, August 04, 2003

Way to go Joel! Have some standards!

Israel Orange
Monday, August 04, 2003

Fascinating... Most of America would fly across the country for some random show on cable, esp. if it was all expenses paid...

I guess Joel has enough stuff on Maslow's hierarchy not to want that kind of thing.

www.marktaw.com
Monday, August 04, 2003

I don't know, TV interviews are really fun while they last but they're short.  Two days for 15 mins is not worth it.  The worst part is if you're not used to hearing your voice; even if you have a good one it sounds terrible to you.

Maybe if you don't mind being cooped up in a plane for a few hours and have other people to meet, it's nice.

anonymous
Monday, August 04, 2003

I'm saddened at the dismissive attitude in this thread.

I watched The Screen Savers for quite a few months, and I was quite impressed.  The guys and gals there definitely know their stuff.  The show's aimed at educating the newbies, and does an impressive job.

So, Joel, have you talked to them about re-scheduling for a New York remote appearance?  I know they've had used a remote for lots of guests.

The Pedant, Brent P. Newhall
Wednesday, August 06, 2003

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home