Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

RAM - 1 GB over 512MB?

Hi All,

I am planning to upgrade my PC.
I have selected Athlon XP Processor and an ASUS Motherboard.
The only thing right now I am stuck is how much RAM to go for?

I have already ordered 512MB RAM.
I was wondering if adding another 512 MB RAM will give me enough bang for my bucks or not?

I am planning to use comp for Photoshop, Web app development in PHP,MySQL.
and most importantly, I am studying .NET currently (heavy use of VS.NET in coming days!!)

So what you suggest? Shall I go in for 1 GIG RAM?

Your suggestions are appreciated!
Regards,
JD

JD
Monday, August 04, 2003

If you can afford it, then why not?

John Topley (www.johntopley.com)
Monday, August 04, 2003

512 is the very minimum for working as a pro (as you).
maybe in a year the minimum will be 1024, then change now and use the minimum pieces or later you can't upgrade to 2048 (and you will need this).

if you open several MS IE6 windows and other programs you eat a lot of memory, and simply memory=performance if you maintain opened too programs.

Guillermo
Monday, August 04, 2003

For some things (RAM, hard drive, CPU speed)  Bigger is always better.

If you can afford it -- buy it.  You'll be glad you did.

Maytag Repairman
Monday, August 04, 2003

I think 1 GB is worth it when working under Windows XP.

In the beginning, things will work great with 512 MB.

But after a few months, Windows displays an inexplicable slowdown, starts chewing more RAM, etc.

This is why it's good to have 1 GB.

Michael
Monday, August 04, 2003

1 Gig over half ? Any day.

Phoenix
Monday, August 04, 2003

"But after a few months, Windows displays an inexplicable slowdown, starts chewing more RAM, etc."

Try defragging your hard disk every so often.

Norrick
Monday, August 04, 2003

I regularly have Visual Studio.NET, several IE instances and a couple of Mozilla instances, Outlook, IIS 5.1 & SQL Server running and I've seldom had any issues with RAM (i.e. paging). Indeed, the only time I have ever had issues is when I have a VMWare machine running with a 256MB working set.

For all of the other software I'd say that 512MB is far more than sufficient, however if you plan on using VMWare then it'd be worth upgrading.

Dennis Forbes
Monday, August 04, 2003

"512 is the very minimum for working as a pro"

Tell this my boss. At work, I still have a 333MHz CPU with 128MB RAM. But I think I'm anyway laid off at the end of the year, so why ask for a new PC. (However, we don't do Windows programming, just embedded systems, and the usual office stuff.)

dat
Monday, August 04, 2003

"Try defragging your hard disk every so often."

A waste of time. Go outside instead.

Johnny Bravo
Monday, August 04, 2003

You can do both... : ) go outside while your hard disk is defragging.  It helps a lot actually.

Andy
Monday, August 04, 2003

You might want to try one slab of 512MB on your initial system purchase then upgrade to filling the other slot with a 1G. With RAMBUS you have to buy identical pairs I think so you can't do this. That way you'll have 1.5G at the end of the day. Good enough for most any work. 1G slabs are slightly more troublesome to source so get a 512MB slab into your machine first.

Li-fan Chen
Monday, August 04, 2003

If you're using one of the nForce2 motherboards, you'll get a slight performance boost by using two sticks of memory instead of one.  So performance is one reason.

Based on what you're describing usage-wise, I would say go for it -- PhotoShop and .NET Studio can both chew up a tremendous amount of memory, especially if you start working with decently large images.

Finally, RAM right now is dirt cheap.  It'll probably still be cheap six months or a year from now... but why worry about it?

Oh, finally finally :), spend the extra money on good memory.  It's worth it.

-Thomas

Thomas
Monday, August 04, 2003

"If you're using one of the nForce2 motherboards, you'll get a slight performance boost by using two sticks of memory instead of one. "

If you think of it, it's not that slight. It's on the order of 8-10%, which are the difference in MHz between an Athlon 2400+ and 2600+.

Phoenix
Tuesday, August 05, 2003

Do you speak in memory access performance, or in general system performance?

Because for nForce2, the general system performance gain of DualDDR over simple DDR is of about 3-4%.

Michael
Tuesday, August 05, 2003

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home