Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

why are experts skeptical that microsoft's actions

Skepticism runs high about Microsoft's new-found interest in high-quality software. Microsoft became the world's biggest software maker but in the process gained a reputation for rushing feature-packed software to market--and fixing bugs later. To build more secure products, Microsoft must transform its deeply ingrained, highly bureaucratic culture. Experts doubt that two days of seminars and a couple weeks of bug fixing will have a significant effect.Microsoft lack s a plan to make systemic changes involving other key products such as office ,SQL database and exchange email.Many point out that diverting programmers to bug fixing came at a good time. Any delay in the release of its next product, a windows 2000 upgrade wont hurt too much because corporations have reduced their software budgets.

lily
Thursday, July 31, 2003

wow thats fascinating stuff...

FullNameRequired
Thursday, July 31, 2003

Highly bureaucratic?

This is news to me.

"Highly" is a comparison word.  In what sense is Microsoft "highly bureaucratic", and compared to what norm?  Perhaps you could compare and contrast to, say, IBM and Apple.

Eric

Eric Lippert
Thursday, July 31, 2003

Who or what is Microsoft?  Is it a new dot com startup or a hair relaxer? 

Guy Incognito
Thursday, July 31, 2003

According to a recent search on Open Secrets' search page for individual donations during government election cycles Microsoft comes out on top so far, for the most donation money paid out.

Here is the page: http://www.opensecrets.org/indivs/index.asp

The searches I tried were Microsoft, Apple Computer, and IBM/International Business Machines.

I wonder how accurate this data is, the site claims to be a government watch-dog that keeps tabs on public records.  Interesting what you can find out even in your own neighborhood :)

Wayne
Thursday, July 31, 2003

Not that this proves anything.  Move along, nothing to see here!

Wayne
Thursday, July 31, 2003

I think Microsoft got interested in high quality software in the mid to late eighties after the Word for Windows and Access death marches. I'm sure Joel will corroborate that.

John Topley (www.johntopley.com)
Friday, August 01, 2003

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home