Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

Usage os ASP.net & J2EE

I’m confused. Reading the trade comics, and some of the posts on this forum, one would get the impression that there are only two serious choices for Web development, ASP.net and J2EE. On the other hand, looking at the statistics on www.netcraft.com, it would seem that around 64% of Web servers run Apache, 26% run IIS, and fewer than 2% run SunONE. I take this to mean that to a first approximation nobody is using J2EE. I would also guess that most of the IIS sites are using ASP (or plain HTML) rather than ASP.net. Is this correct? If so, is it because J2EE & ASP.net are mainly used for in-house development rather than public Web sites? Does anyone have any pointers to serious statistics about how widely each tool is used?

Confused
Thursday, July 31, 2003

J2EE is an application server, not a web server.  I'd guess many companies use apache as the front end and their app servers are something else.  Same goes for IIS. 

vince
Thursday, July 31, 2003

All of our J2EE sites use an Apache proxy - it's a very common approach.

Rhys Keepence
Thursday, July 31, 2003

Wow!  Someone else has the same first name as me!  Never run across that before. . . Ever!

Rhys

I'll keep my alias hidden.
Thursday, July 31, 2003

I too thought I was the only one named Rhys!

Guy Incognito
Thursday, July 31, 2003

Uh...go search google for Rhys

Results 1 - 10 of about 342,000

I wonder how many of those are first names? <g>

GoogleWhacker
Friday, August 01, 2003

The relevance of Netcraft is extremely questionable since they seem to count every DNS name as one vote. This probably means something like www.amazon.com gets counted as 1 where some domain parking  system mapping 200.000 instances of "this site has not yet been constructed" or "buy this name" counts as 200.000.

Just me (Sir to you)
Friday, August 01, 2003

Every J2EE project I worked on used Apache as the web server front-end to proxy all *.jsp requests to the J2EE Server. Therefore, it would be more interesting to see how many pages end in .jsp vs. .asp vs. .aspx. Even then, that is not reliable 100% of the time.

AEB
Friday, August 01, 2003

More like, even then, that is not reliable 10% of the time.

mph
Friday, August 01, 2003

ASP.net is used on windows platform, while J2EE can run on almost  all platforms including Linux/Unix.
In addition I read that current ASP.net not supports 3-tier concept...

Evgeny /Javadesk/
Monday, August 04, 2003

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home