Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

Methodology for new versions and patches

Hi all,

My company develops Delphi and ASP projects. We use MS Visual Source Safe for source control, with an entire tree for each project containing folders for database (schema, scripts), docs (drafts, specs, client docs), source code(components, main source, images) and deployment (install files)
This is all fine for development, but we may enter the situation: customer A has a 1.01 version, meanwhile customer B has 1.03, and we are on the development of the 1.04). Then customer A reports a bug, with needs to be patched. Our plan is to reload 1.01 to find the bug, fix the bug in version 1.03, making version 1.04, and upgrade customer A from 1.01 to 1.04.
I don't think Source Safe easily supports branching, so we're thinking of creating a structure of directories:

App_R1
  Development_folders
  App_P000_folders
  App_P001_folders
  App_P002_folders
  App_P003_folders

Then the development data tree is copied to the next release. I'd be glad if you guys can tell about how do you control control source code in VSS and manage versions. Any documentation about this would be very welcome too!

Mauricio Macedo
Thursday, July 31, 2003

I've only heard bad things about VSS, though I've never used it myself. Have you considered switching? If so, check out Eric Sink's tool at http://www.ericsink.com - I hear it's compatible with VSS. Don't know about import/export functions, tho'.

Mickey Petersen
Thursday, July 31, 2003

From a google search, "forking SourceSafe", first document off MSDN:

Visual SourceSafe supports a "branch" (forking) function, where you create a new version of a project. This command cannot be performed from within the development environment (only within Visual SourceSafe). However, if you do branch a project, the development environment's last known location for the project will not match the new location. To resolve this, you should use the Change Connection command to modify the source control connection for the projects in the solution, and check that in immediately. Other people can then use Open Project (Source Control menu) to open the new project.

I'm sure you'll find more details with a more refined search, or just a leisurely stroll through the MSDN library...

Israel Orange
Thursday, July 31, 2003

Trust me, you would much rather take a bullet to the head than use branch and merge in SourceSafe.

Rick Watson
Thursday, July 31, 2003

VSS is rubbish. Get PerForce.

Mr Jack
Friday, August 01, 2003

My real gripe about Visual Source Safe is where you do a share and branch, but the development tools' SS integration doesn't notice and you end up changing the wrong version without realising.

Oh, plus the inability to recursively share and branch projects. What a pain in the tail.

Better Than Being Unemployed...
Friday, August 01, 2003

Mauricio,

This is difficult to do properly in VSS. Here's an excellent article discussing SCM best practices.
http://www.perforce.com/perforce/bestpractices.html

HTH,

Mark
----
Author of "Comprehensive VB .NET Debugging"
http://www.apress.com/book/bookDisplay.html?bID=128

Mark Pearce
Friday, August 01, 2003

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home