Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

Slowly double-click to rename

Is it just me or is double clicking slowly to rename a file just awful? I cannot count how many times I accidentally rename a file when I'm trying to click and drag or double click or anything.

Both Windows and OSX have this "feature." It's not even that often that I rename files. I'd rather just have to right click or hit keyboard shortcut to rename.

Nimoy's Bilbo
Thursday, July 31, 2003

If you set Windows to "single-click to open an item" mode then you avoid that problem. Trouble is that you if you want to rename something you need to hover over it for a while and then click F2 (or right-click > rename), which seems to take an age. Is there no sensible solution out there?

John C
Thursday, July 31, 2003

I use the single-click-then-F2 system (I use traditional style desktop, not web-style desktop). It really bugs me when apps don't support F2 and instead make me "slow double click". :-p

Brad Wilson (dotnetguy.techieswithcats.com)
Thursday, July 31, 2003

Huh? I just right click on the file and select rename. In practice most of the time I just use the Cmd Here option on that menu and fire up a command prompt and use the keyboard.
Cut n paste below, save as "cmdhere.reg" run it and you now have an instant cmd prompt in the directory you browsed to.
My other favourite trick (kinda the reverse) is typing "start ." in a cmd box to get an instant explorer window.

---Cut Here---
Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Folder\shell\Cmd Here\command]
@="cmd.exe /k pushd %L"

---Cut Here---

Peter Ibbotson
Thursday, July 31, 2003

I quite like the slow-double-click-to-rename method. I guess I must just have highly developed motor skills :-P

John Topley (www.johntopley.com)
Thursday, July 31, 2003

I always use the "Right-Click / Select Rename from the menu" method.  One of the annoying things about this is the fact that "Delete" is right above "Rename" and I sometimes delete a file that I'm trying to rename.  Thank goodness "undelete" actually works.

Maytag Repairman
Thursday, July 31, 2003

F2 all the way, baby!

Thursday, July 31, 2003

It's not great but much better than a right-click or shortcut.

pb
Thursday, July 31, 2003

I think several people have missed the gist of the UI complaint: They aren't asking whether that's the best way to rename a file, but whether having rename mapped to a interface behaviour (clicking on a file twice but more slowly than that which would register as a double click) that people do often by accident is wise (not the comment about renaming by accident). I completely agree with them, and on a similar them I think the system shouldn't commit a "new folder" addition until you've changed the name of it -- How many times has one accidentally clicked the similar "new folder" icon in the comon file dialog when intending to go up a level.

Dennis Forbes
Thursday, July 31, 2003

I don't think you actually have to double click, but it seems like that way.  When the thing is already selected, you do a single click on the filename, and then wait a sec.

This is pretty confusing, no one gets it.  I had someone who was convinced you had to move the mouse off the filename and that's what made it work.

I just use F2 too.

Andy
Thursday, July 31, 2003

Just to clarify since there seems to be some confusion about how this actually works, it's not really a slow double click.  The exact behavior is single clicking the label of a selected file.  It works regardless of how the file has been selected or how long ago the file was selected. 

The simple way to avoid accidently entering rename mode when you're trying to do something else is to not click the label for things other than renaming.  If you double click the icon to activate the item (rather than the label), you never have to worry about accidently putting it into renaming mode. 

If you're a "power user" and get annoyed by having to wait to do the second click, you can fix this by moving the mouse slightly between clicks.  Going along with the previous tip for avoiding accidents, if you use single clicking of the icon as the means for selection and single clicking of the label of a selected icon as the means for renaming, it flows naturally to quickly do these two back-to-back -- no awkward pause needed.

SomeBody
Thursday, July 31, 2003

Peter Ibbotson,

the "Cmd Here" hint is so great, I always hated that I had to copy the path, then open a command prompt, then type "cd " and paste the path (fortunately pasting in a cmd box is only a right mouse click).
Thanks for eliminating this annoyance!

(by the way, is it correct that if you opened a dos box in windows 98, it automatically was in the folder you had in your explorer window? why is this no longer in win2k?)

dat
Thursday, July 31, 2003

It's usually when double clicking that I accidentally rename. It's very easy to click too slowly, to accidentally move the mouse, etc.

It's even worse when using an input device I'm not familiar with, like a touch pad.

I just think renaming is used FAR less than opening by double clicking. Why make them so similar? If I could turn if off and just right click and select rename, that would be fantastic.

Nimoy's Bilbo
Thursday, July 31, 2003

We're all power users, and the GUI quirks of various OS's are lost on us because we've been doing them for so long.

Try to tell your grandmother how to rename a file by clicking it ... not moving the mouse ... and then clicking again.

www.marktaw.com
Thursday, July 31, 2003

Peter Ibbotson...

Super cool registry trick. I love it!

christopher baus
Thursday, July 31, 2003

Thanks. I got it during the Win2K beta from someone in one of the MS beta newsgroups. It's one of those neat little tricks that when it's missing you realise quite how much you use it.

Peter Ibbotson
Friday, August 01, 2003

OS X: click once on file name, wait a second... done. Or, click the icon and press 'return'. (That was the first thing I noticed when going to Macs (well, second, actually, after the missing mouse button) --that 'return' didn't open the file/app.

brian
Friday, August 01, 2003

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home