Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

TIP: Physicalize a VMware guest...

or virtualize your host (physical) system! Here's how:
This guy Ken Kato writes a device driver that mounts VMware disk files as drive letters on the host! You can then copy the guest partition to a spare one on the host system, run Ghost...I think you all get it.
Brilliant!!

Israel Orange
Wednesday, July 30, 2003

Oh, I forgot to provide the URL: http://members.tripod.co.jp/chitchat/vmware/

Israel Orange
Wednesday, July 30, 2003

Uh, maybe you could save sometime by using a physical partition in the first place? And then either run ghost from a running VMWare or have the VMWare shut off and run ghost from the physical machine. Both way should be just reasonably faster than your suggestion to be worth considering. That driver idea is really neat.

Li-fan Chen
Thursday, July 31, 2003

Well, it's a really neat idea, first off. Second, and I may be wrong on this, but I don't think that using the raw disk access mode of VMware allows you to simply read data off the partition that you chose as though it were part of the filesystem's semantics. Third, if you're testing something that will be deployed in a diverse environment, you might have 30 or more virtual machine setups. I doubt you want to have that many partitions on your disk(s). .vmdk files work way better.
Another use for this is improving performance for copying large files between the host and the guest. Drag & drop works well in VMware 4, but it isn't fast enough for my taste sometimes.

Israel Orange
Thursday, July 31, 2003

Situation 1 (raw disk using ghost in vmware) does work, but yeah how many partition can one give up? Again, people use vmware for all kinds of things, I think to use raw disk when you are sure you want performance (raw disk) over flexibility is a good trade off (less vms possible).
You could mix and match. If you install servers into VMWare, use raw disk, if you test web clients in every operating system then use virtual disks.

Li-fan Chen
Thursday, July 31, 2003

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home