Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

Oh dear - the biggest mistake ever, surely?

What Microsoft should do with its pot of gold? The 'enlightenedt' author suggests they should start again. That's right start from scratch with Windows . . .

-- http://insight.zdnet.co.uk/software/windows/0,39020478,39115327,00.htm

Yanwoo
Wednesday, July 30, 2003

He mentions that Apple started over twice in 1984 with MacOS and again recently with OS X but forgets to mentions that Microsoft did the same in 1988 with Window NT. Plus the usual BS about having to periodically re-install Windows, something that I've not done since ditching Windows 9x in, oh...about 1996!

John Topley (www.johntopley.com)
Wednesday, July 30, 2003

When reading this article, all I could think of was a quote I saw somewhere,

The irony of the information age is that it has given new credibility to uninformed opinion.

Patrik
Wednesday, July 30, 2003

The prime goal of editorials on places like zdnet is to get the chat rooms (talk backs) going. This is what brings in the money: reader supplied content that is served up with adds is a proven recipe.
So, while in a distant past there may have been some "journalism" there, the trolls have long since replaced al other lifeforms in the editorial chairs since their "fitness" in such an ecosystem is so much higher than that of the rest of the keyboard swashing spectrum.

Just me (Sir to you)
Wednesday, July 30, 2003

Actually, it seems like Microsoft made three big shifts: from DOS to 16-bit Windows, from 16-bit Windows to 32-bit Windows (which was pretty major for developers, and software back-compatibility was probably comparable to OS X), and the split between "home" OSes and "professional" OSes. Back in the 1993 PDC, even, Microsoft was talking about how Windows 95 would only be a stepping stone and that the next home version of windows would be based off NT. That only took, what, half a decade? :)

Brad Wilson (dotnetguy.techieswithcats.com)
Wednesday, July 30, 2003

Before win2k I might have agreed. The only problems I ever encounter now adays are crappy drivers. But a crappy hardware driver will always be capable of bringing any OS down.

Having a nix kernel wouldnt automaticly make the OS more secure I think. Nix is generally more secure because you need to have some knowlege to even install most unices, where as anyone can run windows.

And as far as I can tell, all those windows vulnerabillites are either in IIS, outlook or word.

Eric DeBois
Wednesday, July 30, 2003

sad. I used to really like David Coursey's articles, but this one is just lame.

Dear David, Microsoft *is* starting over. .NET is not a programming language; it is the new Windows operating system. The barrier between operating system and programming language has always been a little fuzzy. Microsoft has just created a new trunk in which to lock us. Fortunately, the new trunk is no too shabby... ;-)

runtime
Wednesday, July 30, 2003

None of the op-eds from the "giant" sites-zdnet et al-ever display logical thought, technical knowledge, feasibility, or real-world applicability. Their "news" leaves much to be desired as well. Frankly, if I click a link without hovering over it long enough to figure out where it's sending me, and it turns out to be zdnet or CMP or their ilk, I immediately hit back. It's not even worth the time to try and get something useful from this sort of uninformed, lame writing. I'll stick with JOS, Dr Dobbs, oreilly.com, and other sources of well-though out, clueful writing. If I want to read my profession's form of yellow journalism or just check out the recent gossip, I'll check out the Reg or the Inq.

Israel Orange
Wednesday, July 30, 2003

Just Me is 100% correct.  ZDNet is nothing but a trollsite, really.  They tend to post only articles they think will get linked to Slashdot and other such sites as a means of driving big traffic numbers.  The best way to get linked on such sites is to say controversial things (even if they are wrong), particularly as they related to how Microsoft is wrong/stupid/dumb/insecure/evil/whatever.

Mister Fancypants
Wednesday, July 30, 2003

The guy is clueless but there are other good technical people on ZDNet and with ZiffDavies (now separate).

Windows 2K desktop is stable. XP is basically the same thing.

Stephen Jones
Thursday, July 31, 2003

Yes, I agree, the W2K Professional is the most stable of the MS operating systems. I have only seen the BSOD about 6 times in the 18 months I've been using it on my laptop.

Also, .Net is more of an API than OS isn't it?

UI Designer
Thursday, July 31, 2003

I wouldn't say that .NET is the new Windows OS but it's definitely the new Windows API.

John Topley (www.johntopley.com)
Friday, August 01, 2003

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home