Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

how to ftp , email from win App ?

I want to email and ftp files from within a windows  XP application using vc++ . Is there some COM class , ATL class , or higher level windows API i can use . I don't wish to start using MFC just for doing this. Do i have to get down to the level of using Mapi and wininet APIs directly , or is there a wrapper class available for doing this .

joe
Tuesday, July 29, 2003

For email you can use one of the flavours of CDO, a COM library that sits on top of MAPI. Which version depends on what feature sets you want. Do you need to produce inline images or embedded HTML? CDO for Windows 2000 will do that, but that's no use if you need backwards compatibility with NT 4 or Win9X. Have a look under "Messaging and Collaboration Services" in the MSDN Platform SDK Documentation.

For ftp I've used wininet.dll, of which there's an article elsewhere on this site somewhere about it (possibly one of the strategy letters). The only pain with wininet is handling timeouts, which generally involves putting the ftp call in a separate thread.

Better Than Being Unemployed...
Tuesday, July 29, 2003

Just to clarify, the article about wininet.dll is part of the "Working on CityDesk" series.

Tuesday, July 29, 2003

yes , both your solutions work for me

joe
Friday, August 01, 2003

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home