Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

1000$ a month in San Diego?

A startup is offering me this amount which is negligible, given I have no other options, unemployed for 6 months, do I take it?
Can companies screw you like this?

S.Smith
Tuesday, July 29, 2003

I don't know where you live, but here in Colorado -- much lower cost of living, and the unemployment benefit is higher (almost $1600/month).

You can make more than $1k/month at ANY job, ANY where. Presuming they mean for you to put in 8 hours a day at an average 22 days a month, that's ... well, $5.68/hour.

Companies can only screw you like this if you let them.

Brad Wilson (dotnetguy.techieswithcats.com)
Tuesday, July 29, 2003

If you accept, then apparently they can.  : )

I sympathize with your situation, but only you know if it's worth the compromise... if you're running out of cash, etc.

Andy
Tuesday, July 29, 2003

<shrug>  depends entirely on how badly you need the money.

I dont know about where you are, but here I could earn more than that by mowing lawns for people, or building, painting or pruning trees.
Or working at mcdonalds, working as a waiter, as a general labourer, or computer tech support or in any of approx 3000 other professions.

If you have been unemployed for 6 months then start looking at your options.

If I was unemployed for 2 months Id find other work...its a matter of pride as much as anything.
Worse case Id be halfway through writing the killer app I can sell on the internet after 6 months........

git off yur ass, lil boy and do some work...
Tuesday, July 29, 2003

You can make $7 to $12 in SD at McDonalds, or at WalMart, or at Starbucks  and you get good benefits too. Much less stressful. More reasonable hours. More fun. Believe me, doing development for $6 is not fun. Even nonprofits pay stipends better than that.

Are they offering you equity?

If you decide not to take it, *please* post their name so that we may mock and ridicule them.

Ed the Millwright
Tuesday, July 29, 2003

Most likely I won't take it, they appraoched me again, after  a few months.Apparently they are a "startup" in hyper secret mode, nothing else, but better work at McDees than this I feel.
If they do offer you less than minimum wage, is there any california laws that you can take them to court  for?

S.Smith
Tuesday, July 29, 2003

I see a lot of startups doing this around the SF bay area too, offering only options, or worse nothing.  It's a risk some people take, but what irks me is that most of these companies act like they are doing their employees a favor when it is the other way around.

I'd only take the job if the company could convince me that they actually had a shot at being successful.

Colin Evans
Tuesday, July 29, 2003

"Can companies screw you like this?"

Why do we eat fish?
Because they let us!

Some sam
Tuesday, July 29, 2003

Bella will tell you that no programmer in the US works for less than 25k / year

Tuesday, July 29, 2003

>If they do offer you less than minimum wage, is there any >california laws that you can take them to court  for?

Why should you be able to take them to court?

Don't take the job.

I really don't understand this mentality about sueing.

It is trying to catch on here in Britain but luckily most people have common sense!

Mike Grace
Tuesday, July 29, 2003

That's just silly. I work for a branch of a company based in San Diego (county) and the programmers at that office pay more in rent.

Btw, if you're good with Delphi, mail me - the company is always hiring ;)

Atuch
Tuesday, July 29, 2003

http://www.fuckthatjob.com is always good for a laugh with low paying jobs / internships

Tom
Tuesday, July 29, 2003

Oh yeah, in case anyone's interested, here's the website for the company:

http://www.raintreeinc.com

Atuch
Tuesday, July 29, 2003

My _rent_ is over $1000/mo in San Diego. For a 1-bedroom place. Granted, my apartment is in pretty nice neighborhood and it's five miles from my office, but you're not going to find a decent place anywhere in SD for less than $800/mo -- and that will probably involve a long commute. So no, you can't live on $1k/mo here. Don't even think about it.

Dave Rothgery
Tuesday, July 29, 2003

I like how that web site gives you no real information on what their software does. It's fantastic!

Nimoy's Bilbo
Tuesday, July 29, 2003

I'll second the notion that you can't live in San Diego on $1000 a month- but if you are doing it to stem the cash drain, then $1000 is better than nothing, and it is a very nice city to live in while you look for a better job.

On another note- why do people ask the question "Can they do that to you?" Why can't they? It is your choice to accept anything anyone offers. If you feel it isn't a good offer- counter offer- or walk away. But why wouldn't they be able to offer whatever they want?

Matt
Tuesday, July 29, 2003

AOL'ing Dave here with a "me-too".  If it's advice you're after, no--don't take it.  Not to gripe, but our cost of living would not work with $1k/mo, and our rents are indeed that high.

If you're just looking for commiseration--yeah, I hear you.  I've got friends out of work here, and it's not great.

-Rich

Rich
Tuesday, July 29, 2003

I had an apartment in Imperial Beach for $400 a month. But then, that was 1989.

It's kinda fun having a place where you can see Mexico from the front door...

Philo

Philo
Tuesday, July 29, 2003

My babysitter makes $1600/mo for 50 hrs/week.  Maybe you should move to NYC and become a nanny.

Keith Wright
Tuesday, July 29, 2003

People here are shortsighted.    Take the job.  It is not ONLY about money.  You are getting experience, which is worth 10-fold more than your actual paycheck.  While working, keep looking for a better paying job.  But ANY job beats sitting on the couch.

My first job, I made $29k and commuted 60 miles each way.  Within 2 years, I left to make $48k.  3 years later, I left to make $98k elsewhere.  3 years later, I was clearing $20k/month as a consultant. 

In my consulting gig, I was using some of the skills I had mastered almost 10 years earlier, when I was making a paltry $14/hr.  Therefore, the $29k job was still paying dividends 10 years later, LONG after I had left that job.

Bella
Wednesday, July 30, 2003

. . . and, of course, that happens to everybody.

R. C.
Wednesday, July 30, 2003

Nimoy's Bilbo: Yeah it does.

http://www.raintreeinc.com/products/index.html

Atuch
Wednesday, July 30, 2003

"With its unique rules based client/patient management scripting language, there is no limit to the capabilities of Raintree's assortment of software solutions. "

Yep... clears it up for me.

Softward Solution instructions:

1) Open package
2) Dump in Glass
3) add water
4) stir

Joe AA
Wednesday, July 30, 2003

You can't take a job which won't pay enough to live on, unless it's an internship-type deal (meaning you don't have a degree OR any relevant experience) and you're mooching off of friends or relatives for housing.

Dave Rothgery
Wednesday, July 30, 2003

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home