Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

Article about MS mistakes

http://www.seattleweekly.com/features/0330/news-microsoft.php

The article is about Microsoft's mistakes in creating new products.

For me, as a small biz owner, it's conforting to know that even giants like MS make mistakes.

:-)

John K.
Monday, July 28, 2003

Every company has to make mistakes - that's how you separate the really great ideas from the seemed-cool-to-us-but-the-customer-hated-it ideas. The key for any company is to hire people who can "fail fast" (that is, quickly analyze an idea and prove one way or the other whether it's worth spending lots of money on).

Only stupid companies punish their employees for failing; smart companies reserve punishment for those who don't learn from their failures.

Dan J
Monday, July 28, 2003

I wouldn't call them mistakes per se - well, they ARE mistakes - financial mistakes. But, nevertheless, they tried to market new products; some failed, some didn't, but in the end Microsoft earned money and (hopefully?) made the consumer happy.

Mickey Petersen
Monday, July 28, 2003

Actimates Barney was cool.  Bought one for my nephew.  Unf his mom hated Barney and that was that.  That was the big MS mistake. Arthur just didnt have the appeal, bought a teletubby for a neice, but she didnt know what to do with it.  They actimates sdk was cool.  Not that I ever tried, but it took a lot of effort to make Barney swear.  A former colleague ripped off the Barney's outer covering.  I always got a chuckle naked angry swearing barney who did played jackie the jokeman bits...

B
Tuesday, July 29, 2003

John:  What, you don't remember Microsoft Bob?  (=

Sam Livingston-Gray
Tuesday, July 29, 2003

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home