Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

Support/maintenance contracts

Hello everyone!

I'm finishing a J2EE project for a client. The system includes a set of JSPs and database hosted by a 3rd-party web hosting company, and a Java application (Swing-based).

At this stage I'm starting to think about the support and maintenance contract that my client requires. How do you freelancers out there go about this?

Do you have a flat-fee yearly contract or a pay-per-incident contract? What are the typical price structures for both types?

Does your contract cover functional additions or modifications, or simply system health maintenance and fixing bugs?

A big thank you for any suggestions and advice!

rexguo
Sunday, July 27, 2003

Typically about 20 percent of purchase price per year just for minor things - not development - up to a defined hourly limit. Anything else is a new job, charged separately.

jm
Sunday, July 27, 2003

we usually have a period of grace after the 'final' release during which we will fix bugs for no charge, where _we_ make the decision on what is a bug and what is not (that is a vitally important point to make).
After that all time spent on big fixes is at the usual hourly rate, with the very occasional exception made for special cases where I feel we should fix the bug for no charge because its such a stupid error.
All new features are, of course, charged at the standard hourly rate.

FullNameRequired
Monday, July 28, 2003

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home