Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

part time software development rates?

I'm transitioning to part time work, for a number of reasons,
extra family pressure and all.
I'm now working full-time, I've negotiated with my boss for 10-12 hours a week, will vary, sometimes 15, sometimes 10, I won't be paid exactly by the hour, but he's agreed on 1000$ a month, which would be around between 40 and 50 hours a month, working out to between $20-25/hr
Is that a reasonable rate, bearing in mind 2 facts, that I am not on contract, and I will transition back to this same job in a permanent position around a year down the road(plus get to work at home)?

Anon
Saturday, July 26, 2003

Depends.  What about your benefits (health insurance?)  If you get to keep that while on part-time, that amount isn't unreasonable.  Though I would add some type of clause to the agreement regarding extra hours over the agreed weekly work schedule.  You don't want them to work you 40 hours one week b/c of a deadline and then screw you over by not paying for those hours above & beyond the monthly amount.

GiorgioG
Saturday, July 26, 2003

You need to be very careful here. What's to stop them working you longer and longer hours, even though they're not paying you for it? Answer: nothing.

Even worse, they'll find "little" jobs for you to do that "should only take a few hours." When the problems hit, you'll be there working 60 hours a week and wearing all the problems.

You need to have timesheets, because that formalises the time worked, and you need a signed agreement stating the hours per week, plus an agreement to pay for additional consulting.

Saturday, July 26, 2003

what are you developing? Code for the space shuttle, you are under paid. Churning out reports, database stuff, excel,web,... then you are fine.

Tom Vu
Saturday, July 26, 2003

Mostly C++ and Java stuff, but a bit of research in various algorithms as well

Anon
Saturday, July 26, 2003

10-12, sometimes 15 means always 15 and sometimes more unless specified in writing. Your contract should be for the total hours per month, and realize that you will almost never mork below whatever maximum is specified.

The salary sounds low for C++/Java but we need to know more. Are you getting full benefits as well? I expect you must be to considering this salary. Are you in the US? Are you in a metropolitan or in a rural area? Which one? How many years experience do you have and what are your credentials?

Also, is it that your boss only hass 15 hrs a week of work needed total (you are the only C++ guy there)? Is his only alternative to hire a full time employee at $70k and have that guy reading the newspaper for 25 hrs a week?

And why not work as a consultant, billing at $60/hr? That's a fair rate for a contract C++ guy, which is usually how companies handle work that is less than full time.

Dennis Atkins
Saturday, July 26, 2003

"Mostly C++ and Java stuff, but a bit of research in various algorithms as well "

I have no clue what this means. What are you doing? An example please.

Tom Vu
Saturday, July 26, 2003

I have been doing work currently on some business apps and statistical algorithms for Natural language processing.
I have been working in India, where my salary was roughly equivalent to 1000$ US a month, pretty good for these parts.There is a  team hereof 7 people in Bangalore, and have worked here for 4-5 months.I am returning to USA, I was (originally in USA, before I took this job,I am a US citizen) for my masters.
There has been verbal agreement with my boss that I will get the same salary if I put in 10 hours per week while doing my masters, for the difference in cost of living.
This works out to roughly 40 hours/month =$1000
so around $25 per hour.
I feel this is an ideal opportunity for me to recover my tuition costs, as well as keep on working.
Do people think it's low?I'll be  getting medical benefits,
Should I ask for a little more?
Given that the rest of the dev. team is in India,and I will be working from here,and they are all earning in Rupees, does it make much sense to ask for more for this part time work?

This is my second job and have 3 years experience.My first job was in the States, and was earning 50 K per year.

Anon
Sunday, July 27, 2003

OK, given that you have medical benefits, the hours are agreed on, you are working remotely and they are letting you work your own schedule, you've got a fantastic deal.

Dennis Atkins
Sunday, July 27, 2003

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home