Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

Best way to resign

Earlier I had initiated a thread "To jump or not...". Well I landed up with the offer. I want to know what is the best way to resign (my manager is known for his tantrums).

John
Friday, July 25, 2003

Why do you care?

Taka
Friday, July 25, 2003

As clean as possible. Make sure you know the official rules regarding resignation in your country. Do not deviate one inch from them (give them a finger and they will take an arm). Above all, do not let yourself be talked into just providing some more support or training your replacement etc. If they are like most places they will try to play on your emotions to get all the extra free work out of you they can get.

Just me (Sir to you)
Friday, July 25, 2003

Walk into your bosses office, drop your kegs and defecate on his desk.

Mr Jack
Friday, July 25, 2003

Write a letter. Keep it short. Hand it to your boss.  The letter should be brief- don't promise anything (a good intention but very hard to follow thru once you're out-of there), state your ending date.  The letter should be something like this:

Your Name
<Adress Info>
<Todays Date>

"I am resigning from my position of XXXX.  My last day will be YYYYY"
Thank you
Your Name

MikeG
Friday, July 25, 2003

Yep .. that sounds perfect.

jedidjab79
Friday, July 25, 2003

I don't think YYYYY is a vaild date formt in any country.

Best to use you locale settings, eh?

Colin
Friday, July 25, 2003

YYYYY format is the answer to that pesky Y10K problem that is rapidly approaching.

mikrus
Friday, July 25, 2003

-- Go with the letter.  It short, and sweet. 
-- Do not attempt to explain anything.
-- If they ask for an extra week or two and you can, then give it. 
-- If they offer you something to stay, be VERY careful.  Many people who do this are treated like "tainted goods."  The company spends time ensuring they are fully covered and then you get the boot.

Real life experinces:
-- A director at my former company, came to my company as my director. (Strange in that he did not even know I was there)
-- A coworker took a nice paying job and did the "screw you" dance before leaving and dot com bust.  His position was still open, but he could not ask for it back.

What you say when leaving is not going to change anything.  Your boss will not suddenly have the wisdom of Gandalf, based on hearing your final comments.  They won't change their management style and they won't suddenly believe you have "been right all along." 

NEVER burn bridges.  You may hate the place you are at, and swear to never work there again, but leave the bridge and you may be able to use it again.

BigRoy
Friday, July 25, 2003

say "This is going to be my last 2 weeks"

Friday, July 25, 2003

Your bosses will likely want more information then offered in that short letter. Please remember to keep your answers simple, I am leaving for personal reasons.

My story: When I announced that I was leaving, I was offered a huge bonus to stay, provided that I stay for one whole year. Exactly 8 months later the company was sold. So much for the bonus, I am so glad that I sticked to my plan and left. What really irks me is that someone I respected offered me the bonus.  He knew full well that the company would be sold, and he would never have to pay.  What a bastard!!

Sorry for my attitude.

--
ee

eclectic_echidna
Friday, July 25, 2003

Bosses may want more information, but they're not entitled to it. "I'm leaving to pursue other opportunities. I have enjoyed working with you." Even if that's bull, you have nothing to lose.

Someone I know declines to do exit interviews for the same reasons cited above. Nothing's going to change, and you may burn some bridges. Why tell them anything?

tangram
Friday, July 25, 2003

The best way to resign is short, to the point, with a sentence thanking your boss in a sincere tone.  Do it in person if you can rather than in a letter.

I left my last company after a multi-week flaming argument with a colleague (which I lost), and who was then promoted over me.  I left a month later but made a point of telling him I thought his new strategy should be good for the company.  (which was true).  Didn't mention my dozens of complaints about his personal style.

Never burn any bridges.  Airing your grievances does no one any good.  You never know when you might need a reference or a favor.

The Voice of Rationality
Friday, July 25, 2003

P.S.  There was a nice 1 page article in the latest issue of Business 2.0 about negotiating an exit.  It made some good points about negotiating extra $$ or benefits. 

For example, when I left my last firm I was paid 3 extra weeks in exchange for help with some sales leads I had been in contact with.  It's a different approach than the respondents who are advocating the two sentence resignation letter.

The Voice of Rationality
Friday, July 25, 2003

"Someone I know declines to do exit interviews for the same reasons cited above. Nothing's going to change, and you may burn some bridges. Why tell them anything?"

* your former coworkers, whose path you might cross in the future, might appreciate this
* your boss, who might not know of an existing problem

That said, don't be a jerk. And if "nothing's going to change", I agree you should just keep it short and sweet, like "It's been a pleasure working with you, but a great opportunity has come up and I've decided to pursue it."

Joe
http://www.joegrossberg.com

Joe Grossberg
Friday, July 25, 2003

Regarding the short letter, it would be good to add anything good you can say about your current position,  like that you enjoyed working with the people or that you found the position to be a rewarding experience.  Sometimes directly to the point is taken to be a little rude.

Do not use this as an opportunity to critisize the company.  If you had something to say, you should have had the guts to say it before you bailed.

My last resignation was something to the effect of:
"Despite what has been a rewarding experience here, I regret to inform you that I will be leaving this position in two weeks time, with my last full day to be on friday, such-and-such."

I also personally handed the letter to my supervisor, and allowed him the opportunity to read it and comment.  If he reads it in front of you, you can be sure that you have given him notice in time.

Give a copy to HR, they are less likely to burn it and your supervisor may forget to pass it on.  If you are subject to any notice requirements by law or employment contract, you want to make sure that this letter can be used as evidence that you have followed those rules to the letter.

Keith Wright
Friday, July 25, 2003

Just say you've accepted a new position and your last day will be such and such. Thank your boss and the company.

Start winding down a week or two before you actually leave. Under no circumstances take on heaps of extra work as you're leaving, and don't do extra work for free.

Sometimes when companies really need the expertise of someone who's leaving, they pay them a retainer to provide consulting input. But your new job might not allow that.

Friday, July 25, 2003

- Don't burn bridges, no matter how creaky they may look today.

- Don't talk about how the last job sucked, talk about the new opportunities you're pursuing.

- mention how much you'll miss all of you're colleagues, even if it's not exactly true.

bobk
Saturday, July 26, 2003

Colin, LOL !  Very good advice in this thread.  I will add, you can offer to give more than 2 weeks notice, if they need it.  Always good to leave on a good note.    I also HIGHLY suggest that you take some time off b/c jobs !  B/c it' always uncomfortable to take vacation anytime soon after starting a new job (ie: 6 months)

Bella
Saturday, July 26, 2003

Never said which company you are going to! Be prepared to be asked to leave immediately

Resign Today
Friday, July 23, 2004

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home