Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

Magazines

What kind of technical magazines or journals do you read?

I get a couple that I flip through every month, but nothing that I really *read*.  A lot of the articles either seem much too broad, not going into enough detail to be useful, or are so narrow that they only address a very specific problem. 

Occasionally I see something that gives me a good overview of a new technology, but generally, if I had to actually pay for them myself I wouldn't.

And, I wonder about the Q&A columns - who can afford to wait 4+ months for their questions to get answered?

Jason
Thursday, July 24, 2003

Magazines?  Do they still exist?

Thursday, July 24, 2003

nature
chance
the economist

Thursday, July 24, 2003

For .NET development, MSDN Magazine has been pretty useful for me.

http://msdn.microsoft.com/msdnmag/

Stress
Thursday, July 24, 2003

It does seem that technical magazines are the new books -- in the old days books were a few years behind the times and magazines had the latest. Now, technical magazines are a few years behind the times and the net has the latest. There are academic journals -- I used to keep up with those since they were really advanced topics. Then I got more experienced and could evaluate the claims of the articles in academic journals and realized that the academic journals are almost entirely full of complete nonsense and fancy sounding jibberish written by people who don't know what they are doing.

So, the periodicals I get now are:

- The Atlantic Monthly
- Utne
- The Wall Street Journal

X. J. Scott
Thursday, July 24, 2003

The Wall Street Journal
The New York Times
Dwell
Cooks Illustrated
Food & Wine

The first two have a staggering amount of timely tech news.

Mitch & Murray (from downtown)
Thursday, July 24, 2003

the economist
msdn
visual studio
fortune
time
forbes
inc
crn
var business
dr. dobbs

John Rosenberg
Friday, July 25, 2003

The Atlantic Monthly
TV Guide
Windows Developer's Magazine
Parenting

Grumpy Old-Timer
Friday, July 25, 2003

I still read MSDN magazine hardcopies, I was digging through a back issue (June 2003) the other day and found a great nugget in the Bugslayer column (my favorite) on debugging .Net applications using Son of Strike (SOS) with
WinDBG (debugger from the DDK).

Here is the online article:
http://msdn.microsoft.com/msdnmag/issues/03/06/Bugslayer/default.aspx

These are the type of juicy nuggets I look for buried in a column. One that you can keep with you for years.

I also like to read:
1. Dr. Dobbs - Mike Swaine is reason enough to read this mag.

2. 2600 - Even though it hacker based you find some great stuff in here. Some of the articles are so-so but some are real nuggets.

3. Network World Fusion - I love to focus on networking in my programming and I love reading about the latest networking hardware. My pet right no is IP phones and their related hardware. Unlike ComputerWord this mag is not all fluff and pundits.

Ian Stallings
Friday, July 25, 2003

I still have a personal subsciption to New Scientist, but for the rest everyting has gone "on-screen" or loaners from the company library.

Just me (Sir to you)
Friday, July 25, 2003

The Annals of Improbable Research.

Giovanni Corriga
Friday, July 25, 2003

Economist
New Yorker

and of course

Playboy

remainstobeseen
Saturday, July 26, 2003

I suffer from what I call intellectual snobbery.

I used to read the Harvard Business Review religiously when I was 13 or 14 years old. Followed the case studies and all. At some point, like someone posted earlier, I decided that the journalists were no wiser than me.

Same thing happened when I first got into computers - Byte, PC World, etc . Same thing when I first got into finance.

A lot of people  read stuff in such mags, and treat it as gospel. The real people in the know tend not to.

I think one test of whether one has mastered a subject is whether one still reads the popular press on that said subject.

I mean, who here still reads PC Mag??

I now stick to news publications - Financial Times, WSJ Europe, Business Week etc, and some opinion magazines, like the Spectator, and the Prospective. Once in a while, I will buy a copy of the HBR, just to see what the 'latest thinking' is.

tapiwa
Saturday, July 26, 2003

The Nation
Software Development
.Net Magazine
InfoWorld
The Progressive
Sojourners
Dissent

K
Monday, July 28, 2003

The Economist