Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

"Microsoft beefs up spending, adds jobs"

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&cid=580&ncid=580&e=3&u=/nm/20030724/bs_nm/tech_microsoft_dc

"Microsoft said it will continue to hire new staff, adding between 3,000 and 3,500 new jobs in the United States. The company already has more than 50,000 employees worldwide. "

Well, it seems that those 500 jobs that went to India faints compared to the 3-3,500 new jobs.

Mickey Petersen
Thursday, July 24, 2003

Ah, yes, it would seem I missed my point:

With Microsoft increasing spending and adding new jobs to the US market, it would seem that the economic recession is finally grinding to a halt(at least for MS). I think this is a good outlook.

Mickey Petersen
Thursday, July 24, 2003

Well Microsoft is sitting on 45 billion dollars and is limited in what they can do with it (they can't just go aquire a bunch of companies because people will whine even more about them being a monopoly).  So...

Mister Fancypants
Thursday, July 24, 2003

There's no such a REAL recession for Microsoft.

When you have monopoly, you have all the playing field to yourself.

2centsdude
Thursday, July 24, 2003

But Microsoft's biggest competitor is earlier versions of their own product.

Of course the recession is real for them, because people will "make do" with old versions more readily in a recession.

Not to mention that they also make a significant chunk of cash from new computer purchases, which of course also slow in a recession.

And the horse you rode in on
Thursday, July 24, 2003

Microsoft is in an amazing position, hiring wise.

They have the cash to ride out any economic fluctuations this side of the end of the world, and right now there are thousands of really talented people who are looking for work. I know several top talents who went to Microsoft simply because they needed the work and MS was the only one hiring.

They're taking advantage of the hirer's market to cherry-pick the best in the business.

Almost makes me wish I was willing to move again. ;-)

Chris Tavares
Thursday, July 24, 2003

Hmmm... sound familiar.

http://news.com.com/2100-1001-946300.html

(Note: check date on story.)

mb
Thursday, July 24, 2003

Yes, because it's the begining (or close to) of Microsoft's new fiscal year, so they would announce that at the same time of year.

John Rosenberg
Friday, July 25, 2003

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home