Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

Temporary E-Mail Addys

A much better solution is spamgourmet (.com). Once you set up an account, you can do nifty things like determine how many messages will get passed on before killing the address--it's really handy for pages that require a live addy to sign up: you give them a bogus addy with a 1 in it, the first e-mail gets through to you so you can verify that the addy is live, and then anything else sent to that addy gets destroyed. Very nice.

Plus, the one Joel mentioned only requires the addy itself, not a password. It only took about three attempts before I found some mail someone sent, just by guessing an addy.

Jeremy

Jeremy
Thursday, July 24, 2003

Did you read the FAQ?

"Q:  But that's horribly insecure!?!?"
"A:  If you send any private email to this address, you're an idiot."

Mailinator is for extremely temporary addresses on sites that need an email address for no particular reason.

Richard Ponton
Thursday, July 24, 2003

Did you read my post? That was a second thought, after the longer paragraph, about the better service.

Jeremy
Thursday, July 24, 2003

But there are times when you don't want to bother setting up an account.

With mailinator, you just send the email there and pick it up later.

Richard Ponton
Thursday, July 24, 2003

Spamgourmet only requires you to create an account once.  After that, you can make your own fake emails the same way Mailinator works, except with the added benefits outlined above.

Personally, I think it's a superior service.  Once you've set up your account, you never have to go back to their site unless you want to use some more advanced features.

Greg
Thursday, July 24, 2003

To me, SpamGourmet and Mailinator are two completely different beasts.

Leonardo Herrera
Thursday, July 24, 2003

Agreed, Leonardo.

Personally, I don't *want* to create yet another account somewhere.  I want to be able to throw something at mailinator and pick it up immediately.

It's a nice little service, and I appreciate Paul Tyma's transparency about it.

The Pedant, Brent P. Newhall
Thursday, July 24, 2003

I'd like to second the recommendation of spamgourmet.  It's very simple and flexible, and (among other benefits) helps you figure out which website sold your address to spammers.  I don't understand the complaint about signing up for "yet another service"--it's trivial to do this once and then never worry about it again.

Michael Eisenberg
Thursday, July 24, 2003

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home